Envy Export

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Envy Export

Postby dmacqueen » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:48 am

In Envy you can import an config map with all its required maps. Is there an analog that would allow me to export a config map and include all its require maps?

2) We have two versions of manager.dat at two sites that differ probably only slightly. I would like to combine them into a New Official Manager.dat. Is there any reason why I cannot simply import one manager.dat into another? IOW, is manager.dat just like any other export from the Config Map browser?

Thanks.

Donald [|]
dmacqueen
[|]

Re: Envy Export

Postby dmacqueen » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:24 pm

dmacqueen wrote:In Envy you can import an config map with all its required maps. Is there an analog that would allow me to export a config map and include all its require maps?

2) We have two versions of manager.dat at two sites that differ probably only slightly. I would like to combine them into a New Official Manager.dat. Is there any reason why I cannot simply import one manager.dat into another? IOW, is manager.dat just like any other export from the Config Map browser?

Thanks.

Donald [|]

I solved #1 the easy way - I wrote my own.

#2 is still up in the air.

Thanks.
dmacqueen
[|]

Postby wembley » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:14 pm

dmacqueen wrote:In Envy you can import an config map with all its required maps. Is there an analog that would allow me to export a config map and include all its require maps?

In the Configuration Maps Browser menu bar, select Names -> Export -> Export All Required Maps. This setting will hold for all exports you do from the Configuration Maps Browser until you change it back.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby wembley » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:20 pm

dmacqueen wrote:We have two versions of manager.dat at two sites that differ probably only slightly. I would like to combine them into a New Official Manager.dat. Is there any reason why I cannot simply import one manager.dat into another? IOW, is manager.dat just like any other export from the Config Map browser?

All .dat files are structurally alike (other than being either 1GB or 16GB format). So you can import one manager into the other (this is what the Library Importer tool does -- see http://www2.instantiations.com/VAST/Doc ... tl010.html). But be careful that you get everything that you think you are getting. Importing all maps will copy only the apps released into those maps, so open editions of apps and classes (as well as versions of apps not released into versions of maps) will get left behind by the tool).
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby dmacqueen » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:35 pm

wembley wrote:

In the Configuration Maps Browser menu bar, select Names -> Export -> Export All Required Maps. This setting will hold for all exports you do from the Configuration Maps Browser until you change it back.

I saw that but did not realize it was a toggle. Thanks, John.
dmacqueen
[|]

Postby dmacqueen » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:40 pm

wembley wrote:
dmacqueen wrote:We have two versions of manager.dat at two sites that differ probably only slightly. I would like to combine them into a New Official Manager.dat. Is there any reason why I cannot simply import one manager.dat into another? IOW, is manager.dat just like any other export from the Config Map browser?

All .dat files are structurally alike (other than being either 1GB or 16GB format). So you can import one manager into the other (this is what the Library Importer tool does -- see http://www2.instantiations.com/VAST/Doc ... tl010.html). But be careful that you get everything that you think you are getting. Importing all maps will copy only the apps released into those maps, so open editions of apps and classes (as well as versions of apps not released into versions of maps) will get left behind by the tool).

OK, I will give it a whirl, after I do a backup. Many thanks.
dmacqueen
[|]

Postby TriSebastian » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:54 am

Hi!

Well two additions here.
Have a look at the Preferences: Transcript -> Options -> Open Preferences Window... -> Tab "Configuration Management"
Check "Move all Required Maps Too".
This way Required Maps are also allways exportet.

Another way I also already used is cloneing the manager.dat.
Therefore you need to login as Library Supervisor and go to:
Transcript -> Tools->System-> Clone Library...
Select the target OtherManager.dat (could also be your second manager.dat which is slightly different).

Using this method also moves old verisons of classes and methods. (those editions of methos and Classes whom had never been part of a versioned class won't be moved/copied).

Do it by night, that can take a while.

Cheers!
Sebastian
TriSebastian

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0