Shadow classes

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Shadow classes

Postby jduff » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:06 pm

I'm stumped by a problem with a loaded class thinking it is a shadow class. I don't know the steps that led up to this exactly as it was first encountered by a coworker. I believe he used the Copy... feature in the Organizer.

This is in VAST 7.5.2.
Here is what we're seeing....

A new class and its subclasses + 6 or 7 classes related to the class that he copied from won't let us edit them because "This edition of EdmsHandlingUnitStatus is not currently loaded in the image." But they are.

I've tried all of the following without luck:
  • I've restarted my IDE and reloaded the config map.
  • Disconnected and reconnect to Envy.
  • Unload and reload.
  • Delete the class and pull in from available... classes.
  • Delete the class and use do a File in.

I finally tried creating the class from scratch and it seemed to work...to a point. If I type or load from a previous version one particular method called #isLoaded, I get the following on the Transcript and it flips it over to a shadow class:

Info: 42 EdmsMasterDeliveryOrderStatus class overriding #isLoaded from ClassDescription.
jduff

Re: Shadow classes

Postby jduff » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:32 pm

Never mind. I figured it out. (It's been a long day.)

ClassDescription>>isLoaded
"Return whether the receiver is loaded in the image."

Our developers must have added this method (class side) and still able to version and release the class so that when it was copied it perpetuated the problem.
jduff

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0