EMSRV service won't stay running

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

EMSRV service won't stay running

Postby tkrieg » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi,
I've just downloaded VA 8.0 and I'm trying to install it on my local machine running Win XP Pro SP 3. When I attempt to start the service I get 3 entries in the event viewer. The first states the service has started. The second entry is an informational warning about multi-processors (even though I used the -mp parameter), and the third is my error.

The error reads like this:
Check that the EMSRV user account has sufficient privileges.

I've started the service using my userID and password. I'm the only user on my laptop so that of course makes me the administrator.

I did add the administrator rights to the local policy "Act as part of the operating system". Is there another policy that I'm missing?

Here are the parameters I used when I created the EMSRV service (changed the userId and password):
C:\Program Files\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\8.0\bin\emsrv.exe -u "my user" -p password -mp -W c:\public\wchRepo

Thanks in advance...
tkrieg

Re: EMSRV service won't stay running

Postby wembley » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:51 pm

There are a coule other settings to do -- see http://www2.instantiations.com/VAST/Doc ... tgd55.html for the full list.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Re: EMSRV service won't stay running

Postby tkrieg » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Got it - thanks!
tkrieg

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0