7.0 compatible with IE8?

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

7.0 compatible with IE8?

Postby steven.lafavor » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:51 am

At my company, they are looking to roll out IE8 in the near future, and are asking us developers if the version of Smalltalk that we have (7.0) is compatible. We currently are using the WebConnection feature in VA, and cannot find anything in the docs that we can show to them about compatibility. I personally believe that it will be fine, but does anyone know for certain? Or can show us a piece of documentation that states that it is?

Thanks in advance.

*Steve*
steven.lafavor

Re: 7.0 compatible with IE8?

Postby tc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Hello,

From the IE8 side, it should be compatible because it has a compatibility button next to the address bar which says it should fix problems where older websites have things that appear out of place with version 8.

--tc
tc

Re: 7.0 compatible with IE8?

Postby jtuchel » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:19 am

Steven,

Web connection produces very simple html and uses very little html form magic or the like, so I'd be surprised if you face any problems. The Web connection apps we've done have come from some netscape/mosaic legacy to firefox and IE 6 and 7 without any problems. The apps still look as poorly designed as ever ;-)

Do you use any styling in addition to bare web connection parts? how is that stuff generated?

Do you have a machine available on which you can simply try? As Taylor pointed out, MS has put a lot of effort in making IE8 both standards conform as well as confroming to its own legacy...

Regards

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0