VA Smalltalk V8 bin files and VAST 5.5.2 bin files

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

VA Smalltalk V8 bin files and VAST 5.5.2 bin files

Postby PhotonDemon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:02 am

Hi All,

I have a few GUI programs (and a bunch of NT services) written in VAST 5.5.2 that I will eventually migrate to VA Smalltalk V8. I would like to be able to run the packaged images of the migrated programs and the un-migrated programs on the same system at the same time. I install the VAST bin and NLS files in directories like:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\SmalltalkCommonFiles\bin\
C:\Program Files\Common Files\SmalltalkCommonFiles\NLS\

Can I install the VA Smalltalk V8 files in the same directories without interfering with the VAST 5.5.2 programs? In other words, if there are V8 dll's that replace 5.5.2 dll's (same name) will the 5.5.2 programs still work? I can and will test this but if it is known not to work, I will avoid it.

Thanks, Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:Lou@Keystone-Software.com http://www.Keystone-Software.com
PhotonDemon
[|]

Re: VA Smalltalk V8 bin files and VAST 5.5.2 bin files

Postby marten » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:25 am

PhotonDemon wrote:In other words, if there are V8 dll's that replace 5.5.2 dll's (same name) will the 5.5.2 programs still work?

In a general case: no. If it starts, you may get strange problems earlier or later ... I did this once and got lots of IP errors (in my case). Do not try that !
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0