DB2 on AIX Support Question

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

DB2 on AIX Support Question

Postby mccutcheon.rich » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:15 am

I see the supported versions of DB2 for AIX are listed as v8.0 and above for Smalltalk VA 7.5.

Can anyone point me to a document or information that can confirm support of DB2 9.1 for sure? Also, is there any knowledge of supporting up to a specific DB2 fixpak under a full release number? Example support to DB2 9 fp 3 but not above?

Thanks in advance.
Rich McCutcheon
Honda of Canada Mfg.
mccutcheon.rich

Re: DB2 on AIX Support Question

Postby tc » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:59 am

Hello,

DB2 9.1 is supported with the exception of 9.1 specific features. For example, some of the later versions have support for doing multiple row inserts in a table with one insert statement. There are no objects in the image for that but most statements can be executed directly.

--tc
tc

Postby mccutcheon.rich » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:40 am

Thanks for the response.

Is there a published list somewhere in the Smalltalk docs that may specifically identify supported/not supported features in DB2 9?

Again, thanks in advance.
Rich McCutcheon.
Honda of Canada Mfg.
mccutcheon.rich

Postby koschate » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:13 am

Rich, unless someone is planning on doing some significant new development on ALC, I don't think you've got anything to worry about in terms of new features. As long as you can connect at all, you should be good. Your bigger risk is probably deprecated features that were in older DB2 versions but no longer work in DB2 9.1. That being said, ALC's use of SQL is fairly generic INSERT/UPDATE statements that shouldn't cause any problems.
koschate
[|]

Postby mccutcheon.rich » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:33 am

Good to hear from you Thomas.

Thanks for your comments. Obviously, you can tell I'm getting ready to plan an ALC DB Upgrade. ;-)

Hope you are doing well and thanks again for your comments. I will review the depricated function list for DB2 9.

Regards,
Rich McCutcheon.
Honda of Canada Mfg.
mccutcheon.rich

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0