Tooltip position clipped wrongly

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Tooltip position clipped wrongly

Postby Michael Keppler » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:55 am

Hi,

the tooltip position is clipped to the default screen size. But that is wrong for multi monitor setups, so tooltips for widgets on the second screen are shown at the right border of the first screen. Any check of pixel coordinates should always use the desktop window, and never a screen property.

For me, changing AbtEwHoverHelpManager>>#tagOriginForNextToPointer: was enough, but there are many more places where
Code: Select all
CgScreen default width
CgScreen default hight

are called, but the desktop area or the size of the desktop window should be used instead.
Michael Keppler

Re: Tooltip position clipped wrongly

Postby tc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:59 am

Hello,

Can you post the changed 'AbtEwHoverHelpManager>>#tagOriginForNextToPointer:' method?

Thanks.

--tc
tc

Re: Tooltip position clipped wrongly

Postby rjs » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:38 am

I'm going to be slightly rude and talk about a similar issue with multiple monitors.

If you have multiple monitors and edit a part in the composition editor on the second screen, when you save it, those who are unfortunate to have only a single screen cannot see the part when they try to edit it. This occurs in 6.0.2 for certain. I don't know about more recent versions (but I assume it does). The cause is the saved window position not being validated against the current screen capabilities.
rjs

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0