Error unlocking source repository

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Error unlocking source repository

Postby MartinMcC » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:42 pm

The script that backs up our Envy repository using emadmin copy is reporting an error unlocking the source repository. This is on Sparc Solaris. The output full output of emadmin is below. The copy *seems* to succeed, but I'd rather be assured that the lock and unlock are actually working as expected. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Martin

Code: Select all
EMADMIN 7.0a
Copyright (C) IBM Corporation 1989-2002
Locale: C

Connected to source server

Connected to destination server

Copying /export/hercules1/apps/users/buildgss/envy/dat/gbsManager.dat => /export/hercul
es1/apps/users/buildgss/envy/tmp/gbsManager.dat.bak using system command '/export/hercu
les1/apps/users/buildgss/gbs/internal/copydat'

Locking entire source file.
Locked library of size 0:2649522480 bytes.
emadmin copy succeeded

Unlocking source.
Attempt to unlock repository failed.
Error unlocking source repository.

Repository /export/hercules1/apps/users/buildgss/envy/dat/gbsManager.dat copied to /exp
ort/hercules1/apps/users/buildgss/envy/tmp/gbsManager.dat.bak using system command '/ex
port/hercules1/apps/users/buildgss/gbs/internal/copydat'.
MartinMcC

Re: Error unlocking source repository

Postby wembley » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:42 am

Martin -

We have never seen this error, but I don't think we have a lot of users using a Solaris repository server. What version of Solaris is EMSRV running on?
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby MartinMcC » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:32 pm

We recently moved our repository from an old Solaris 5.8 machine to a Solaris 5.10 machine. We also updated our emsrv version to 7.1a at the same time. On the old machine we were running emsrv 7.0.

In looking at the logs, though, we'd also been getting this error on the old machine almost every time for several months, then intermittently before that, with the first recorded occurrence in 2006. At first I thought it might be related to the repository passing 2G in size, but there were some occurrences before that happened, and it wasn't until some time after the 2GiB point that we started getting the error almost every night.

So there seems to be a general correlation with repository growth, but not a specific boundary crossed, and the new, much faster server (in service less than two weeks) also has the problem every night so far.

The only errors in the emsrv log are on the new server, with several of these:

Error 9 closing socket.

The log doesn't contain timestamps, but the last modification time of the log is at almost exactly the time the backup should be happening, so it's probably relevant.
MartinMcC

Postby wembley » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:40 pm

Martin -

I am moving this discussion to our case management system so I can track it. You will receive email shortly regarding Case 38756: Error unlocking source repository on Solaris.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0