calling conventions for the SSL libraries ?

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

calling conventions for the SSL libraries ?

Postby marten » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:49 pm

What calling conventions are used in the SSL libraries delivered with VASmalltalk ? I would assume, stdcall and
this means, that these libraries are not compatible with the "standard" libraries available for download at
OpenSSL ?
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Re: calling conventions for the SSL libraries ?

Postby tc » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Hello,

They should all use the C calling interface, however, the initialization for the latest SSL libraries was different and would need to be changed in ST.

Also, I do not recall the downloads of DLLs coming directly from openSSL. The webpage would always point one to places where the binaries could be downloaded.

--tc
tc

Re: calling conventions for the SSL libraries ?

Postby marten » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:09 am

"c" calling interface means stdcall - then the libraries are special ones. The "normal" SSL libraries are using "cdecl" calling conventions. There was a thread about compiling SSL using stdcall, but as I remember this would lead into internal difficulties of some helper functions not usable to due the fact of variable argument lists, which are not supported by stdcall.

I went into this problem, because I looked at "libcurl" to get native multithreading transfer protocols and this library can be compiled against ssl libraries - but then one has the ones delivered with VA and the ones with "cdecl" calling conventions.

Marten
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0