2008 CEO update on VA Smalltalk

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

2008 CEO update on VA Smalltalk

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:17 am

Another year has flown by and I'd like to take just a few minutes of your time to update you on the continued evolution and success of VA Smalltalk™ (VAST). To quickly summarize, we continue to see strong growth in both the use and capabilities of VAST. We know that VAST is important to your business, as it is to ours, and Instantiations remains fully committed to supporting and advancing VAST into the future.

It's been just over 3 years now since Instantiations took over VAST and we're happy to report that the use of VAST continues to grow strongly. Both our support revenues and new unit sales are up over 20% again this year. Even if the economy were healthy this would be excellent growth, in the face of tough times it's extraordinary.

In light of that positive news, I'm excited to invite you to participate in VAST Summit 2009. We plan to bring together customers and key members of our Smalltalk team to talk about the status and future of VAST. The event will be April 21-22, 2009 in Raleigh, NC. Just respond to the email address, vastsummit2009@instantiations.com, and we'll keep you informed as details develop.

As promised we are investing strongly in VAST and its technical development. You may be aware that we've recently released VA Smalltalk V8.0 as a beta. It's taken us longer than we planned, but we hope you think it's worth the wait. Highlights of V8.0 include new, high performance Seaside web deployment functionality, tabbed browsers, improved documentation, and enhanced support for industry-standard communications features like web services to communicate with .NET and other non-Smalltalk-based systems. VAST libraries have been updated to work with current IT industry technologies (such as Vista®) and the latest versions of popular mission-critical databases like Oracle 11 and DB2 9 are now supported. We will continue providing you with the capabilities you need to maximize the ongoing value of VA Smalltalk to your organization.

We want to assure you that your investment in VA Smalltalk continues to be a wise one. We're very pleased that Gartner recently issued a report categorizing Smalltalk as a mature language whose use in existing deployments should expand (contact me for a copy). Our goal continues to be providing the innovation, product support, and consulting services you need to protect and profit from your important long-term Smalltalk investments.

Please contact me with your comments, suggestions or concerns about VAST. I'd especially like your feedback on the future direction you'd like Smalltalk to take. We look forward to continuing our partnership with you and your organization for many years.

Best regards and Happy Holidays,

Mike Taylor
President/CEO

Phone: +1-503-598-4911
Email: mike_taylor@instantiations.com
Web: http://www.instantiations.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0