VA Smalltalk V8 & Seaside

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

VA Smalltalk V8 & Seaside

Postby PhotonDemon » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:23 pm

I am about to start a new project that could use Seaside and its Ajax support. I understand Seaside is comming with VA Smalltalk V8. Is this true and if so how is it going and when can we expect it? Also, are there things I could do in V7.5 that would allow me to move to V8 and Seaside easily?

Thanks, Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:Lou@Keystone-Software.com http://www.Keystone-Software.com
PhotonDemon
[|]

Re: VA Smalltalk V8 & Seaside

Postby jtuchel » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:41 pm

Lou,

John has given several talks about V8 and Seaside and as far as I know we are not too far from a first public beta right now.
Seaside support is coming for sure and Scriptaculous/Ajax support will be part of it from the beginning. I've already used Seaside/Ajax on a very early VAST 8 alpha version and the Ajax features worked quite well.

You may want to have a look at http://joachim-tuchel.de/2008/10/02/va- ... -smalltalk to learn a bit more about V8 and Seaside as well as some thoughts on how a migration of an existing application to Seaside would work.

As far as I know and from my experience with VAST migrations from older VisualAge versions, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to move your code onto V8. If your existing code runs in V6, there shouldn't be too many changes to be made for 7.x and pretty likely also V8.

Hope that helps

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Postby wembley » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:07 am

OK, October has come and gone -- where is the V8 Beta? Well, I've mentioned to many people, and during the various VA Smalltalk presentations I've made, that October might have a few extra days this year :-)

We have begun the steps needed to build a V8 Beta distribution. We will, of course, need to do some testing of it before we ship, so it could be as late as the middle of November before it is ready. But as soon as it is ready, we will make it available.

The V8 Beta will contain the Seaside 2.9alpha level of code (plus maybe a couple fixes made post 2.9alpha), an interim drop of the new Tabbed Browsers, and an interim drop of the new V8 documentation, as well as many fixes that have accumulated since VA Smalltalk V7.5.2 was released.

Stay tuned for the announcement of the availability of the VA Smalltalk V8 Beta.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby jtuchel » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:41 pm

John,

thanks for sharing a bit insight.
So it's possibly only a matter of days until Louis can start playing in VA 8...
I'm eager to see the new browsers. Improvements to the look and feel of VAST were on my personal wishlist for quite a while now and I hope this is the beginning of a lot of improvement in this area.

Now let's go and modernize the GUI stuff... ;-) (Just Kidding, John. I hope you'll soon have the chance to get a few days off)

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Postby PhotonDemon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:28 am

Thank you John and Joachim for your prompt replys.

Congratulations John and the rest of the VA Smalltalk team on the up coming V8 Beta.

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:Lou@Keystone-Software.com http://www.Keystone-Software.com
PhotonDemon
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0