OpenOffice, OLE, VASmalltalk

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

OpenOffice, OLE, VASmalltalk

Postby marten » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:29 am

I've worked on this project last year ... and now restart the work again. To give you an overview about this project in progress here are the actual status:
http://www.schrievkrom.de/blog/?p=210. This project is far from being ready for production usage, but perhaps somebody shows interests and we could finish it.
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Re: OpenOffice, OLE, VASmalltalk

Postby marten » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:44 am

And it shows its first results:

marten
[|]

Postby marten » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:08 pm

At http://www.schrievkrom.de/blog/?cat=28 you may see, how far the stuff is. A simple stream oriented protocol has been added to create top-down documents, insertion of text tables, illustrations and text content index and illustration index handling has been shown by examples.
marten
[|]

Postby rjs » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:37 am

A simple stream oriented protocol has been added to create top-down documents, insertion of text tables, illustrations and text content index and illustration index handling has been shown by examples.

That's looking really nice, Marten!

Will it be possible to get a handle to things and refer to it elsewhere? For example, once the table has been added, it might be useful if it could be passed to another object to actually populate the data into the table. I'm sure most other document artefacts would have some use being passed to another object.
rjs

Postby marten » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:49 am

rjs wrote:
A simple stream oriented protocol has been added to create top-down documents, insertion of text tables, illustrations and text content index and illustration index handling has been shown by examples.

That's looking really nice, Marten!

Will it be possible to get a handle to things and refer to it elsewhere? For example, once the table has been added, it might be useful if it could be passed to another object to actually populate the data into the table. I'm sure most other document artefacts would have some use being passed to another object.

Yes, the whole code (the extension - not the automatically generated code) is still changing quite often - I'm in the process of finding the programming model now. The stream oriented way seems to be promising (and might be portable to MSWord also) way to reduce the complexity of that stuff.

The code shown in an earlier posting is pretty low level stuff - now I'm looking for a "higher" API.

Actually regarding to the TextTable: yes, you name the table with a unique name. Using low-level API calls you might retrieve them again. But I would like to write an extension for these tables for navigating and stream-oriented for reach cell.

More or less I use this whole stuff for learning OpenOffice and do some fast development using Smalltalk. When ready, the whole stuff is reprogrammed in C# at work.
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0