Invoking C# web service from smalltalk

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Invoking C# web service from smalltalk

Postby savagedm » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:40 am

I am invoking a C# web service from smalltalk but I am receiving an SGML Exception '(''Result is not a SOAP message'' SstSoapFaultCodeServer)'. I was wandering has anybody came across this issue before.
savagedm

Re: Invoking C# web service from smalltalk

Postby benvandijk » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:30 pm

It happened to me too. You will have to look at the message you receive from the webservice.
It can be a html page telling you the webservice is unreachable.
Some webservices have the unfriendly habit of responding a non-soap message like an empty string if they get a request they do not like.
I call a webservice from my application which sends an empty string if the certificate is out of date.
benvandijk

Re: Invoking C# web service from smalltalk

Postby TriSebastian » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:38 am

Hi!

I just had that problem a few days ago.
I'm working with VaSt 6.0.2 and called a websphere hosted webservice.

Set a breakpoint at: "SstWSClientEngine invokeHandlers: anSstWSMessageContext"

Don't let results be called on anSstWSMessageContext, that throws the exception...

Inspect anSstWSMessageContext after invoking. It then contains the whole information of your request and client-environment including the response content.

My fault was that the answer, I got from the server, wasn't a SOAP-XML. It was just a HTML-message containing 403 (not allowed) error send by the server.

Write an exception handler for this und catch that soap-error passing the context...

Cheers!
Sebastian (awaiting 8 beta) ;-)
TriSebastian

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0