SqueakSeaside slower than VAST

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

SqueakSeaside slower than VAST

Postby FredF » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:47 pm

After the VAST Forum Europe 2008, I'm playing with "squeak seaside one click" (I only know VAST until now).
It looks great (method finder, halos, ...) but seems very slow.
Just opening a hierarchy browser on Object takes lot of time (in the image, not in Firefox).
I was then curious to compare something like (in a workspace in the image, not in Firefox):
(1 to: 1000) do: [:i | some computation]
=> Squeak +/- 60 seconds
=> VAST +/- 10 seconds

Is it seaside making this? Is VAST much better optimized? Or?

Fred
FredF

Re: SqueakSeaside slower than VAST

Postby a3aan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:06 am

Fred,

The various Smalltalk dialects all have optimizations but not necessary in the same areas.

I suggest you profile the execution of your example in both dialects and learn where the time goes.

Regards,
Adriaan.
Adriaan van Os
a3aan
[|]

Re: SqueakSeaside slower than VAST

Postby jtuchel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:19 am

Fred,

I'm happy to read that you want to take a look into Seaside. It's surely worth a look ;-)

Squeak is currently one of the slowest Smalltalks in many areas, and there is quite some work going on to change that, but for the time being, a penalty of several hundred per cent in execution speed compared to the major commercial smalltalks is the norm for many areas.
Seaside has seen some major performance and memory usage improvements over the last few versions (starting with 2.7 iirc), so it's much better than it was two or three years ago now. But I'd guess that the overall performance of Squeak is part of what you're seeing.

... but I hope it won't be too long before we see VAST 8 beta ;-)

cu

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0