Public access to old articles possible ?

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Public access to old articles possible ?

Postby marten » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:08 am

I create a list of old articles in http://www.schrievkrom.de/blog/?p=177. These articles are somehow related to VisualAge Smalltalk (and therefore VASmalltalk).

My question to Instantiations: is it possible to make these articles public available ? Are there free pdf's available from the VisualAge Magazine ?

Marten
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Re: Public access to old articles possible ?

Postby tc » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:13 am

I looked at your list, pretty cool. I would love to see those articles and also, what about articles from magazines like JOOP?

--tc
tc

Postby marten » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:04 am

tc wrote:I looked at your list, pretty cool. I would love to see those articles and also, what about articles from magazines like JOOP?

--tc

Just a matter of time and copyright !? I have JOOP, Smalltalk Report and VisualAge magazine and will do some
further search ...
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby daswartz » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:35 am

marten wrote:I create a list of old articles in http://www.schrievkrom.de/blog/?p=177.

The IBM website also used to have articles about VisualAge Smalltalk which would be useful to have available. One I particularly wish I had handy was about performance profiling in a packaged headless image on the mainframe. I would like to use the same techniques to do some performance profiling in headless UNIX images. I'm sure I can replicate the work, but the article could give me a headstart.
daswartz

Postby wembley » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:40 am

Doug -

I assume you are referring to the Eye on Smalltalk articles. I have many of them (but not all) in PDF form. Some of the information in them is quite dated (a lot of broken links, etc.) and some have been republished in a different form (such as a VAST Technote on the IBM website).

We are currently redoing our documentation system for VA Smalltalk V8. Adding a lot of this historic, but still useful, information is part of that redo.

I think I have the article on using the ENVY/Performance Workbench tools in a headless environment. If I do, I will dig it up and attach it here.

One of the things I have on my list to do is actually make this part of the product. I need it to provide the profiling capability in Seaside. But it is a 2nd-tier requirement, so probably won't make V8.0.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby daswartz » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:40 pm

wembley wrote:I assume you are referring to the Eye on Smalltalk articles.

Yes. Those are the articles.

wembley wrote:I think I have the article on using the ENVY/Performance Workbench tools in a headless environment. If I do, I will dig it up and attach it here. ...

One of the things I have on my list to do is actually make this part of the product.

Great! So, I might actually make myself useful if I did that work and gave it to you?

thanks for your continued support of VAST!
Doug
daswartz

Postby wembley » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:48 am

Doug -

Sure! All donations are gratefully accepted. Further, as Eric Clayberg has mentioned previously, such donations can result in a free license.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0