ENVY 1 CPU on Windows Issue

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

ENVY 1 CPU on Windows Issue

Postby andit » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:17 pm

ENVY has an issue with Window on multiple CPU machines. These are starting to become increasing hard to find. Since its been outstanding as an issue for many years I'm not expecting it to be suddenly fixed, but surely someone needs to start thinking about it.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me if a Windows Virtual Machine (VmWare, VirtualBox, etc) configured to have only 1 CPU but running on a multiple CPU machine will be subject to the same windows bug and manager corruption issue?
andit

Re: ENVY 1 CPU on Windows Issue

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:19 pm

andit wrote:ENVY has an issue with Window on multiple CPU machines. These are starting to become increasing hard to find. Since its been outstanding as an issue for many years I'm not expecting it to be suddenly fixed, but surely someone needs to start thinking about it. In the meantime, can anyone tell me if a Windows Virtual Machine (VmWare, VirtualBox, etc) configured to have only 1 CPU but running on a multiple CPU machine will be subject to the same windows bug and manager corruption issue?

ENVY does not have an issue with multiple CPU machines using Windows 2000 or later. See the VAST FAQ...

There are no known current issues with multiprocessor boxes under any recent version of Windows since Windows 2000. Under much older versions of Windows such as Windows NT, repository corruption was observed on multiprocessor machines. It was never reproducible or diagnosed, but speculation at the time was that the problem was a file sharing bug in Windows itself (that has likely been long since corrected). As far as we know, no fix is necessary under any recent version of Windows.

As long as you us the -mp switch, you should not have any problem using EMSRV under any recent version of Windows. We have had no reports of manager corruption in the past 5 years or more. Many customers are running with the -mp override.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby andit » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:41 am

I sit corrected. :oops:
Thanks Eric.
andit

Postby wembley » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:45 am

In addition, if you don't like using the -mp commandline switch, you can run in a single CPU VMware session.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0