Embedding a manifest file in your application ?

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Embedding a manifest file in your application ?

Postby marten » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:51 pm

I was working on integrating a dll into my Smalltalk system and when I call this library from Smalltalk I get a R6034 error describing the fact, that I call the runtime library from Microsoft in a wrong way (this happens under Vista).

The library seemed to be build with VS2005 and therefore is based on the c runtime library of that tool.

As a solution - I found via searching through the Internet - it was said, that I had to embedd a manifest INTO my application-executable !? Do I have to change my abt.exe for that ????? Any ideas, how this is done ?

Marten
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Re: Embedding a manifest file in your application ?

Postby marten » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:22 am

marten wrote:As a solution - I found via searching through the Internet - it was said, that I had to embedd a manifest INTO my application-executable !? Do I have to change my abt.exe for that ????? Any ideas, how this is done ?
Marten

Hmm, I made it work by changing my abt.exe. Is that good ? I used mt.exe from VS2008 (or the SDK ?) and then:

mt /manifest Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest /outputresource:abt.exe;#1

then I was able to call the library without errors ? Any comment from you about this handling ???

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby wembley » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:26 am

Marten -

This is the first I've ever heard of the need to add a manifest for C-runtime (which certainly doesn't imply that it isn't needed). We ship external manifests for our VA Smalltalk executables so that they can be modified, if necessary, without tools such as mt.exe. Perhaps you could add the information about the C-runtime to this manifest?
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby marten » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:40 am

wembley wrote:Marten -

This is the first I've ever heard of the need to add a manifest for C-runtime (which certainly doesn't imply that it isn't needed). We ship external manifests for our VA Smalltalk executables so that they can be modified, if necessary, without tools such as mt.exe. Perhaps you could add the information about the C-runtime to this manifest?

Here the info:

http://blogs.msdn.com/cheller/archive/2 ... 18757.aspx

but then I ask myself how to merge two manifest files ....
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby crenz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:17 pm

We've encountered the same problem in the past. Two observations:

1. Under Microsoft Vista, we've encountered problems with external manifest files (abt.exe.manifest). Therefore, we have resorted to using mt.exe to add the manifest as resource into the .exe file.
2. If you have source code for the DLLs, you might want to try to recompile them with static linking; that might remove the dependency on the MS Visual C++ Runtime Library.

I usually merge Manifest files with a text editor and some good thinking ;-). I'm not aware of any tool that does it automatically.
crenz

Postby wembley » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:01 am

Under Microsoft Vista, we've encountered problems with external manifest files (abt.exe.manifest).

Can you explain a bit more about the problems you've had with external manifest files?
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0