fail to running a package image (7.5, WS 2003)

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

fail to running a package image (7.5, WS 2003)

Postby jcNTS » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 am

I am starting a migration project to move on 7.5.2 from 6.0.1

Currently, a 6.0 package image served as a batch job is fried up by another 6.0 package image...
Similiar to a Scheduler fires up a batch job. And the 6.0 version has been running under windows server 2003 environment with no problems.

The first step in the mirgation plan was to package a 7.5 "batch job" image.

This new 7.5 package image served as a batch job was packaged but was not able to be fired up successfully by the 6.0 "Scheduler" image...

The error code I got was:

Primitive failed in: SciSocketManager class>>#primFdSetSize due to OS error4

I am wondering if this is a WS 2003 environment problem or actually is a smalltalk packaging problem since I packaged this 7.5 image based on the saved packaging instructions from 6.0.

Can anyone give me some clues about problems I am facing?
Also, how do you run a 7.5 package image in a windows server 2003 R2 environment? Since there seem to be some kind of data execution prevention security built-in in the WS 2003.

Thanks,

JC in NTS
jcNTS

Re: fail to running a package image (7.5, WS 2003)

Postby wembley » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:55 pm

The VA Smalltalk 7.5.2 executables are compatible with Data Execution Prevention in Windows Server 2003 R2. This means that you should not see any issues with DEP if you are running with the latest executables. However, if you are running with VAST 6.0.1 executables, you will need to turn off DEP for these. You can do this through the Properties dialog for MyComputer. On Windows XP it is on the Advanced tab, Performance Settings button -- pretty well hidden :-( It might not be exactly there on Windows 2003 Server, but it should be close.

OS Error 4 is 'The system cannot open the file.' SciSocketManager class>>#primFdSetSize calls into essci40.dll, so this is the file that cannot be opened. I imagine that this could be a file permissions problem.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby jcNTS » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi Mr. Wembley,

Thank you so much for anwsering my questions as well as giving me solutions about problems that I am facing with.
I was able to disable the DEP by changing the settings in Windows Server 2003 R2 through Control Panel -> System -> Advance -> Performance Settings -> Data Execution Prevention, and selected "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only". This seem to turn off the DEP for now. :P

However I have little progress in the file permission part that you mentioned about in your reply.

Can you please explain more of the file permission problems I might be facing with? Particularly, to the essci40.dll. What should I do to change the permissions? One thing I'd like to mention here is this problem seems only happening when I am trying to execute VA Smalltalk 7.5.2 executables but no error occurs while executing VAST 6.0.1 executables.

The error/warning message I got is as follow:
---------------------------
The following error(s) were detected during the startup sequence which may interfere with correct operation:
1) Primitive failed in: SciSocketManager class>>#primFdSetSize due to OS error4
Do you wish to attempt to continue anyway?
Yes No

I'd really appreciate if you (and/or anyone reading this) can give me some clues in solving this problem I am stuck with.

Thanks,

JC in NTS
jcNTS

Postby wembley » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:37 am

It is also possible that the essci40.dll file itself is:

* corrupt -- try copying a known good copy over it
* old -- the timestamps on all the es...dll files in a release should match (within a second or 2 difference perhaps)
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0