Packaging problem

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Packaging problem

Postby mvalentine » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:41 am

When I try to run the packaged app, I get "MxESD2 in esd" prompt followed by "MxKRN41 in krn" prompt. It's been so long since I've packaged anything, that I don't remember how to resolve them.
What am I missing?
I'm, sure this is elementary for most of you
mvalentine

Re: Packaging problem

Postby tc » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:43 am

Hello,

It seems you are missing some *.cat files, probably krn.cat and esd.cat. When those files are included, you will be able to see the actual error message.

As an alternative, you can search your image for 'MxESD2' and usually the strings associated with that key are written in the method, in comments.

--tc
tc

Postby slbickett » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:22 pm

I am having the same problem. I am running VisualAge 3.0a and I don't have the option to upgrade. I can run the packaged image just fine. But when it was part of an MSI install, that's when I get the message. So if I understand correctly, there is an error but it can't find the actual message. I am not sure what I need to do then to get the esd.cat file to be part of this install. Suggestions anyone? I've never done anything like this before.
slbickett

Postby rjs » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:24 am

slbickett wrote:I am having the same problem. I am running VisualAge 3.0a and I don't have the option to upgrade. I can run the packaged image just fine. But when it was part of an MSI install, that's when I get the message. So if I understand correctly, there is an error but it can't find the actual message. I am not sure what I need to do then to get the esd.cat file to be part of this install. Suggestions anyone? I've never done anything like this before.

It's been a while, but I believe the problem is the application's .ini file points to a location where the system expects to find the .cat files, but they are not there.

The solution is to make sure you distribute the .cat files to where your .ini file says they will be. Two possibilities are 1) you are not distributing the .cat files at all, 2) your .ini file says they are found somewhere other than where you installed them.
rjs

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0