OpenGL support ?

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

OpenGL support ?

Postby marten » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:54 pm

Is there code for interfacing with OpenGL on various platforms somewhere out there ?

Marten
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Re: OpenGL support ?

Postby marten » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:58 am

marten wrote:Is there code for interfacing with OpenGL on various platforms somewhere out there ?

Marten

Ok, as far as I found out: there was code for the VA platform somewhere around 97 - 11 years from now and it was only working with the SGI OpenGL implementation for Windows. The code is not working any more - due to problems with the integration of OpenGL into the VA widgets. The main
problem seems to be, that the system is not able to create the rendering context needed for OpenGL under Windows. The software also had code for the ms libraries and in general it should work. The code was published under GPL license.

I tried it myself but also failed to get a rendering context within a VASmalltalk window. I get various error messages - sometimes also stuff like "access denied".

Therefore I tried to wrap the GLFW project (another library like GLUT) and also produced some bindings for the OpenGL library. This could be seen as a good start for doing more work in that area
marten
[|]

Postby marten » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:28 am

marten wrote:Ok, as far as I found out: there was code for the VA platform somewhere around 97 - 11 years from now and it was only working with the SGI OpenGL implementation for Windows.

I've published a slightly modified version (bug fixed, make it runnable) of that code and it should run now against VASmalltalk 7.5.2 under Windows. When I find the complete archive I also upload that code. Please notice, that this code still has problems - the first attempt to create a rendering context after a start of an image ALWAYS fails. I do not know why. Just simply execute the code again and then it works .... the code is GPL based.

http://www.schrievkrom.de/blog/?p=56

At least it gives basic OpenGL features under Windows.

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby marten » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:31 am

marten wrote:Is there code for interfacing with OpenGL on various platforms somewhere out there ?

Marten

Just to give you the information, that from here http://www.schrievkrom.de/blog/?cat=27 you get access to my own - early work in progress - OpenGL wrapper under VASmalltalk. At this time I'm now looking at the examples of the SuperBible, the RedBook and a book named "interactive computer graphics" and to see, if their examples are working. I publish often and this means, that perhaps a published code may not work (or even loaded) in new fresh image. But the direction seems to be ok and considering the fact, that I have no experience with OpenGl so far, the libraries are developing pretty fast - but they may also change dramatically from one version to another.

I also do not consider the external "GLFW" framework (I mentioned in an earlier posting) any more - I render in a Smalltalk widget and this seems to be ok.

But people with OpenGL experience should be able to something with this wrapper around the API - though several binding are not done (glu32.dll) - due to the fact, that I have not reached examples using these calls.

Marten
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0