Code Review tools for VAST

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Code Review tools for VAST

Postby Livardo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:32 am

Hi all,

I've been tasked at researching any tools that would help us with reviewing Smalltalk Code in Visual Age (we have 7.0 here).

So far, I've only found the following:
Smalllint

http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/brant/Refactory/Lint.html

The Smalllint tool checks for over 60 common types of bugs. Some of these are from the classic bug list. When it suspects a bug, it opens a refactoring browser on the classes or methods in question.

http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/brant/Refactory/LintChecks.html

Does anyone have experience with the above tool, or any other tool that may help with code reviews?

The 2nd URL above has a pretty good list of items to check, what else would you check for when doing a code review?

Thanks!
Livardo

Re: Code Review tools for VAST

Postby marten » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:47 am

Livardo wrote:Hi all,

I've been tasked at researching any tools that would help us with reviewing Smalltalk Code in Visual Age (we have 7.0 here).

So far, I've only found the following:
Smalllint

http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/brant/Refactory/Lint.html

The Smalllint tool checks for over 60 common types of bugs. Some of these are from the classic bug list. When it suspects a bug, it opens a refactoring browser on the classes or methods in question.

http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/brant/Refactory/LintChecks.html

ENVY/QA ?

Does anyone have experience with the above tool, or any other tool that may help with code reviews?

The 2nd URL above has a pretty good list of items to check, what else would you check for when doing a code review?

Thanks!
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby wembley » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:11 pm

VA Smalltalk ships both CodeCritic (part of the ENVY/QA feature) and Smalllint (part of the RefactoringBrowser feature). The rules that these 2 tools use overlap to a great extent, but not completely -- i.e., each of the tools will report issues that are not reported by the other tool. Each of the tools is extendable with new rules -- I suspect, although I have not tried to do it, that Smalllint is easier to extend than CodeCritic is.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby rjs » Tue May 06, 2008 4:42 am

wembley wrote:... Smalllint is easier to extend than CodeCritic is.

I haven't tried to extend CodeCritic. However, I can attest to having used SmallLint for the last 7 years with great success. One of my colleagues added many checks to the standard version. I wish I could share them, but at this time, they are still considered proprietary. :(

One of the most compelling arguments in favour of SmallLint is that it is fast.
rjs

Postby Livardo » Thu May 15, 2008 5:57 am

rjs wrote:I haven't tried to extend CodeCritic. However, I can attest to having used SmallLint for the last 7 years with great success. One of my colleagues added many checks to the standard version. I wish I could share them, but at this time, they are still considered proprietary. :(

One of the most compelling arguments in favour of SmallLint is that it is fast.

I've been playing around with SmallLint but haven't figured out what the heck the "Filters" are supposed to do, or how to use them. Searching Google does nothing. Any hints? Thanks!
Livardo

Postby rjs » Thu May 15, 2008 6:17 am

Livardo wrote:I've been playing around with SmallLint but haven't figured out what the heck the "Filters" are supposed to do, or how to use them. Searching Google does nothing. Any hints? Thanks!

I haven't used them myself. However, when you open a browser on a given lint check, you can add filters for the class and method selector. I would guess the lint checker would then ignore whatever you had put in a filter, no matter how bad it is.

Philosophically, I am opposed to having exceptions to the lint rules. I prefer to write clean code, and live with it nagging me when I think I cannot get it clean. :)
rjs

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0