Timestamps in sdf filename?

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Timestamps in sdf filename?

Postby schepurny » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:29 am

I've been investigating having my sdf files include a timestamp in the filename when one of my packaged servers crashes, just the same way that walkback logs include a timestamp in the filename by default. I ran into a dead end looking for where I could configure this.

I'm using the AbtStackDumpStartUp as my startup class.

I do realize that I can go by the date of the actual sdf file, but it would just be much more convenient in our environment to have the sdf files automatically include the timestamp in the filename so that we can have this information at a glance.
schepurny

Re: Timestamps in sdf filename?

Postby daswartz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:19 pm

schepurny wrote:I've been investigating having my sdf files include a timestamp in the filename when one of my packaged servers crashes, just the same way that walkback logs include a timestamp in the filename by default. I ran into a dead end looking for where I could configure this. I'm using the AbtStackDumpStartUp as my startup class.

Have you tried changing the code in the method AbtStackDumpStartUp>>createStackDumpFileName. I haven't tried it, but it looks straightforward. Alternatively you could create a subclass of AbtStackDumpStartUp, override createStackDumpFileName, and use your own subclass as the startup class.

Doug Swartz
daswartz

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0