Oracle Thin Drivers / Client

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Oracle Thin Drivers / Client

Postby Livardo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:24 am

Hi,

In Visual Age, Is it possible to connect to an Oracle DB on another server when Oracle itself is not installed in the client?

From what I've been told, in Java, they have the option of connecting with an Oracle DB via a JDBC Thin Oracle client or native OCI Oracle drivers. Albeit, the thin drivers appear to not be full featured (which is fine by me)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

[edit:

Or is there a minimum list of DLL files that are needed to get the Oracle connection work?
There was an IBM Redbook which listed the number of files to include at runtime for ODBC access (I have no idea if that's even allowed / possible, or how the licensing will work, but then I can run it by the software dept. here)
]
Livardo

Re: Oracle Thin Drivers / Client

Postby Livardo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:38 pm

Just thought I'd share what I found.

Seems like Oracle has available on their website a freely distributable library:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html

They call it, OCI "Instant Client". I installed it in my development workstation and I was able to connect to the DB server using the Oracle 8 Smalltalk Manager.

Mind you, I'm doing a very simple query (no inserts), so I don't know how featured this is. Perhaps it is possible to distribute a VAST app that can access an Oracle DB without having to install the full Oracle client!

Cheers!
Livardo

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0