Labels do not appear as designed

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Labels do not appear as designed

Postby mlau » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi everyone,

My question is about IBM VAST 6.0.0. I know this is not about 7.0 nor 7.5 but I have a lot of trouble finding information regarding anything back in the IBM days. This forum looks active enough so I was hoping that someone here can help me out. Hopefully I can describe my situation clearly enough to garner some answers.

I have this weird issue regarding one of the screens in our application. I went in to do a simple text change on one of the labels inside a group box and saved the part. When I tested it, the label change did not persist. From the transcript, I can see that abtGenerateInternals was regenerated, which is fine. So what I decided to do was to remove the entire group box and re-add all the labels and fields inside that group box. After saving and checking to see if that worked, the result came out even worse. The labels were in the wrong order and some of them were replaced by text from the properties of other subparts. For example, the label with the text "Transit" in the editor instead showed "upper". One of the fields has the property of uppercase. Another label was transformed into "/". "/" is specified as separator for a date field. This issue seems to only occur for labels in that particular group box. The rest of the screen subparts were not affected and changes to them persisted just fine. I should also note that when I was re-adding the parts, at one point I got some index out of range exception when putting the label on the screen. I essentially then just loaded the old edition, deleted the group box and started adding again without further exceptions.

Has anyone encountered something like this before? Anyone have any idea what else I could do? Hopefully you gurus can help me out here.

Thank you for reading this long post.
mlau

Re: Labels do not appear as designed

Postby mlau » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:21 am

It looks like I have figured out a solution to this problem. After stepping through abtBuildInternals, it looks the the NLS pool was not being updated with the changes or the text in the array was out of order, causing the screen to display weird text. To fix it, I executed "fixupNlsPool" on the application, regenerated the MPR files and then reinitialized the application.
mlau

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0