Db-Oracle feature, VA 7

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Db-Oracle feature, VA 7

Postby Livardo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:35 am

Hi all......

This probably has a pretty straightforward answer but it's not very apparent to me right now.

I'm trying to access an Oracle DB remotely. I followed the instructions in the DB Connectivity manual (I loaded the DB-Oracle feature), and when I'm at the point where it tells me to click "connect" I get a walkback. It seems like it's looking for a DLL called "ora73win.dll".

Am I to understand that this DLL is provided by Oracle? My co-workers tell me that with Java, they can connect to the Oracle DB through the network without the need of any DLLs (then again, they may be BSing!). Am I missing a step somewhere to access the db remotely? or should I do this differently?

Thanks!
Livardo

Re: Db-Oracle feature, VA 7

Postby tc » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:38 pm

Hello,

If I had to guess, I would say either there is a path not defined correctly or you have Oracle 8 or 10 installed on your machine but you are trying to logon using Oracle 7.x.

Find out which version of Oracle is installed and search your machine for the files ora73win.dll and oci.dll. If ora73win.dll is on your machine then you have Oracle 7.x installed. If oci.dll is on your machine then Oracle 8 or 10 is installed. For Oracle 10, execute this to logon:

Code: Select all
(AbtDatabaseConnectionSpec forDbmClass: AbtOracle10DatabaseManager databaseName: 'orcl') connect.

. . . for Oracle 8, use this:

(AbtDatabaseConnectionSpec forDbmClass: AbtOracle8DatabaseManager databaseName: 'orcl') connect.

. . . for Oracle 7.x, use:

(AbtDatabaseConnectionSpec forDbmClass: AbtOracleDatabaseManager databaseName: 'orcl') connect.

To access the connection in your code, do this:

AbtDbmSystem activeDatabaseConnection.

After doing the above, if you are still not able to logon then check the paths. If you are on Unix, some Unix variables need to be set as well.

--tc
tc

Postby Livardo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:08 am

Thanks for the reply.

I think I figured out the problem with the DLL.

All the machines here have Oracle 9 installed, and I found out from searching the "vasmalltalk" newsgroup that the DB Manager should maybe use "oci.dll". I found the code where the dll name is specified, changed it, and tried to connect again.

Now I get a different error:

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

If I try using the Oracle 8 DB Manager, I get even more errors:

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 2: No such file or directory

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ps: I'm running XP.
Livardo

Postby tc » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:37 am

Hello,

One other thought is you are trying to connect use native Oracle but others may be connecting using ODBC.

For native Oracle, if the DB is Oracle 9 then connect using Oracle 8. However, for native Oracle, the oci.dll has to be setup properly with the proper paths.

--tc
tc

Postby Livardo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:01 am

Hi,

I finally figured it out. I think I was trying to connect somewhere I wasn't supposed to. After talking to one of the Java guys here, I managed to poke him hard enough to give me the correct DB connection credentials. Now I can connect to the DB and query it!!

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to plug everything into our base code here.

Thanks!
Livardo

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0