VA 751 Headless Runtime Problem in Vista

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

VA 751 Headless Runtime Problem in Vista

Postby mmacmillan » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:45 pm

Hi All,

We have multiple services in XP that point to a headless icx file. This runs after registering the VA executable in XP va sc. This all runs just fine in production at multiple customers. We now have the need to port to Vista. I have registered the services in Vista with the new 7.5.1 headless executable (abtntsrv.exe).

When I try to start the Vista Service I get the following:

Windows could not start the CsIrWrk service on Local Computer.
Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

I have made sure that the latest .dll files are being pulled from the right place. I have verified using depends.exe(Dependency Walker) to make sure that the 7.5.1 dll's are being used.

Any idea why the headless service will not run under Vista. I was under the impression that the 7.5.1 release supported Vista.

Any help would be appreciated.
mmacmillan

Postby wembley » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:48 am

Yes, Windows Vista is supported. I just installed and successfully started the AbtNtServiceExample on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista as a double-check that nothing has gone wrong with the support.

I'm not sure exactly what error 1083 indicates in your situation.

Please post the entry in the WinVista EventLog that corresponds to this error as well as any other EventLog entry associated with starting your application.

Also, please export the registry entry for your service (HKLM -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services -> <servicename>) and post it here (for both WinXP and WinVista if possible).
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0