Help with inconsistent library

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Help with inconsistent library

Postby bpieber » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:04 am

I just found out that my library is inconsistent. :-( I had tried to clone my library to reduce it in size and it failed. Then I found and tried the following:
EmLibraryStatistics checkConsistencyOf: EmLibrary default

I got the following result:
At 480000101 out of 1237261904
Invalid Reference at 480787168, offset 25, for 56 bytes, tag is 33, reference is 480786976
At 481000655 out of 1237261904
Library D:\Entwicklung\vast70\manager\mgr70.dat is INCONSISTENT:
1 invalid reference(s) were detected.
Restore a backup that is smaller than 480787168.

I checked yesterdays backup and the error is there is in there as well. It seems to me that the inconsistency must have been there already for a long time since my library is already 1.2 gigabytes in size. During development I never encountered this problem so far.

I tried EmLibrary crashRevover: '...'. However, that failed as well.

So, what should I do now? Are there any other tools to repair an inconsistent library? Is there any chance to have it repaired?

Frustrated,
Bernhard

P.S. Does that imply that I should check consistency daily before the backup? How often do others do it?

P.P.S. There seems to be no reference to EmLibraryStatistics>>checkConsistencyOf: in the documentation, at least not for 7.0.
bpieber

Postby solveig » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:40 am

Berhard,

Sorry to hear your library is inconsistent. :cry:

So, what should I do now? Are there any other tools to repair an inconsistent library? Is there any chance to have it repaired?

Unfortunately once the library is inconsistent, there are not any tools we'd recomment to repair the pointers.

Since you have not noticed the inconsistency your active code is probably fine. :)

What you should do is to export your code from the repository. You could select code with timestamps later than a cutoff date to slim down what you export. Then import into a virgin manager of the same version as the inconsistent library.

Regards,
Solveig
solveig

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0