Problem installing library manager

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Postby bpieber » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:54 am

I have a VA Smalltalk 7.0 library manager installed on a Windows Server 2003. I tried to upgrade it to 7.0.1. I stopped EMSRV and did the installation. It went through without problems. I had to change the Destination folder to D:\Entwicklung\vast70 which I found a little bit strange, because normally it should have been stored in the registry when installing version 7.0.

I started EMSRV and tried to connect from a version 7.0.1 client. I got errors that 7.0.1 application versions are missing. For some reason the installer did not change the mgr70.dat.

I tried to redo the installation but that does not work because in the Select Features step of the installation wizard the Next button is disabled.

I would be thankful for any idea what might be the reason for this. Does the installer write a log file somewhere? What should I do next?

Cheers,
Bernhard
bpieber

Re: Problem installing library manager

Postby marten » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:19 pm

bpieber wrote:I have a VA Smalltalk 7.0 library manager installed on a Windows Server 2003. I tried to upgrade it to 7.0.1. I stopped EMSRV and did the installation. It went through without problems. I had to change the Destination folder to D:\Entwicklung\vast70 which I found a little bit strange, because normally it should have been stored in the registry when installing version 7.0.

I started EMSRV and tried to connect from a version 7.0.1 client. I got errors that 7.0.1 application versions are missing. For some reason the installer did not change the mgr70.dat.

I tried to redo the installation but that does not work because in the Select Features step of the installation wizard the Next button is disabled.

I would be thankful for any idea what might be the reason for this. Does the installer write a log file somewhere? What should I do next?

Cheers,
Bernhard

Couldn't you use the "importer.exe" tool to import the missing 7.0.1 applications into your repository ? (the importer tools can be found in the inst directory).

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby wembley » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:47 am

Bernhard -

If you were installing 7.0.1 onto a machine with 7.0 already installed, you should have been offered the correct directory for the manager (i.e., where the 7.0 manager was installed) and the install should have updated that 7.0 manager by merging in the contents of the 7.0.1 manager.

The fact that this didn't happen indicated that the registry information for the 7.0 install was either incorrect or missing. I have no way of knowing the state of your registry before you attempted the install, so I can't say what was wrong with it.

Since the correct registry information was not found, 7.0.1 tried to do a full install. But it found your existing mgr70.dat file, so it did not write the 7.0.1 mgr70.dat file -- a good thing since you would have lost your existing working manager if it had written the file.

There are actually 2 log files written to your %TEMP% directory for a manager install -- act_m.txt and manager.nst; examining them might provide a clue to the problem, but I doubt it will tell you anything more than that the registry entry for the 7.0 install was not found.

At this point the easiest was to recover is to extract the cd_m\manager\manager\mgr70.dat file from the va701_mw.zip file into a temporary location. Then, as Marten said, use the importer utility to merge it into your working manager (importer -z.source=temp\mgr70.dat -z.target=D:\Entwicklung\vast70\manager\mgr70.dat).
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby bpieber » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:31 am

Marten and John, thanks for your suggestions.

I was trying to find out what the importer.exe does exactly. Does it only move VA code or also other code in the source library? In other words, how does it decide which code to move?

Bernhard
bpieber

Postby wembley » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:01 am

Bernard -

The importer is designed to copy a new distribution's manager into an existing manager. It copies the newest version of ALL configuration maps in the source manager to the target manager.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby bpieber » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:23 am

Thanks for the clarification!

Bernhard
bpieber

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0