menu bar gets white during long time running processes

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

menu bar gets white during long time running processes

Postby marten » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:17 am

Under the newer (7.0 ?, 7.5 ?) I noticed a different behaviour when running long time processes. Mostly I have some test methods, which prints numbers into the Transcript window ... this is done over a long time.

Under XP2 and VASmalltalk (at least) 7.5.1 - but I've seen this behaviour also under older 7.x versions - it can happen, that suddenly the menu bar of the Transcript windows gets blank (white) and a refresh of that window does not happen any more. When I press the interrupt execution key the Transcript window gets updated again and I can see the not printed numbers.

To get rid of this behaviour I have to run all these long running processes with userBackgroundPriority.

And no: I did not change or move any of my Smalltalk windows when running these methods.

Has anyone notice this behaviour ?

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby wembley » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:04 am

Marten -

Yes, I've seen it. I don't think it is new with 7.x, but I don't have a 6.0.x image available right at the moment to check.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:36 am

I have seen the same thing with other apps (including Eclipse) when the CPU load gets very high.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby koschate » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:36 pm

I thought it was the bits oxidizing due to prolonged exposure to light and air. 8)

Seriously, though, I have seen it older versions of VA and in other applications. I don't think you'll be able to do much beyond changing the priority. And, for what it's worth, I've seen this sort of behavior in Cincom ObjectStudio, which actually uses OS-level threading.
koschate
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0