VA 7.5: Press Esc during "Information Required" di

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

VA 7.5: Press Esc during "Information Required" di

Postby marten » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:01 pm

Goto menu "Tools", execute "Browse Class ...." and then press Esc when the dialog is open.

The system thinks, that you close the last window of VASmalltalk and ask for exit (and for saving).

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby wembley » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:27 am

Marten -

What operating system and version are you running? Do you have VA Assist loaded? I tried this on Ubuntu 5.10 running under VMware 6 with VA Assist loaded and I see no reaction at all to the Esc key.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby marten » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:58 am

wembley wrote:Marten -

What operating system and version are you running? Do you have VA Assist loaded? I tried this on Ubuntu 5.10 running under VMware 6 with VA Assist loaded and I see no reaction at all to the Esc key.

Sorry, I have Windows XP SP2, VAAssist loaded.

Under Linux and Solaris pressing Esc does not make anything - right. To get the same behaviour under OpenSuSE 10.2 or Solaris you must press the close button (cross icon) in the upper right corner of the dialog frame.

This works also under Windows.

This behaviour of the dialog is a general behaviour - other dialogs (system modal ?) behave in the same way.

By the way: the "Information Required" dialog box is misformed under Sparc Solaris 10 - the buttons are are laying above the entry field. It is well formed under Linux and Windows.

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby wembley » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:21 am

Marten -

I tried this scenario running VA Smalltalk 7.5 on Windows XP SP2 with and without VA Assist. In both case, Esc simply closed the Information Required dialog. Can you try this in a fresh image?
wembley

Postby marten » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:23 am

wembley wrote:Marten -

I tried this scenario running VA Smalltalk 7.5 on Windows XP SP2 with and without VA Assist. In both case, Esc simply closed the Information Required dialog. Can you try this in a fresh image?

Tried it again. Fresh image, connected to repository press ESC and get the message I mentioned above. Then I disable VAAssist and no more problems.

Additional-Infos:

I tried the "Browse Class ..." dialog. Did a concrete class search, opened the browser of that class.

Then I tried again "Browse Class ..." and pressed ESC - no problems.

Then I closed the browser opened in first step ...

Then I tried again "Browse Class ..." and pressed ESC - got the message
again.

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby Prophet1024 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:56 pm

Last edited by Prophet1024 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Prophet1024

Postby marten » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:41 pm

Prophet1024 wrote:This works fine for me under Windows 2000 and XP SP2 with VAAssist running.

Strange, I've this under all my XP machines (at home, my laptop, at work) (pressing ESC), my Windows 2000 (virtual pc - pressing ESC), my Linux machine and my Solaris machine (pressing the close button in the upper right corner of the dialog) - only together will VAAssist.

Marten
marten
[|]

For the record

Postby quixotik » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:11 am

I get the same warning dialog as Marten, displaying "Closing last window... Exit VA Smalltalk?" with Yes, No, Cancel buttons.

My system runs on Win XP SP2
quixotik

Postby wembley » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:12 am

OK, so we have some subset of WinXP SP2 machines that do not try to close VA Smalltalk in response to Esc, and some subset that do. So what is different? Could it have something to do with the locale -- perhaps creating a different mapping for the Esc key? What locale are you running with?
wembley

Postby marten » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:33 am

wembley wrote:OK, so we have some subset of WinXP SP2 machines that do not try to close VA Smalltalk in response to Esc, and some subset that do. So what is different? Could it have something to do with the locale -- perhaps creating a different mapping for the Esc key? What locale are you running with?

Remember: it does not happen, when I unload VAAssist ... therefore it might even not happening during runtime ?! It also happens under OS/2 using VA 6.01 and VAAssist 7.5.0 code ... but thats only for informational historical purposes.

It also does not seem to happen, when in addition to the Transcript window another browser window ist open.

To summarize: it happens when the Transcript window is the only one window opened and VAAssist is loaded and it happens on all platforms.

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby quixotik » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:45 am

For me, it also happens when other windows, such as the organizer, are open and indeed VAAssist 7.0.0 is loaded in VASmalltalk 7.0.0.
The problem also goes away when disabling VAAssist.
quixotik

Postby quixotik » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:13 am

Correction: it doesn't happen when other windows are open.
The test is in EtWindow>>windowClose:clientData:callData:
and when "Use enhanced prompters" is enabled, it uses a prompter that subclasses from EtWindow and in the windowClose: a test is done to see whether the number of top-level shells is smaller or equal to 1, and the prompter isn't one, only the Transcript.
quixotik

Re: VA 7.5: Press Esc during "Information Required" di

Postby FredF » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:34 am

I have the same problem with a new install 7.5.2 on Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Fred
FredF

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0