Platform Function general protection fault

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Platform Function general protection fault

Postby TheIconoclast » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:48 am

I'm working on adding some calls out to a JAVA-wrapped FORTRAN dll using platform functions. I can initialize the PlatformFunction without problem (at least, it returns a valid address), but any attempts to call the function are resulting in "Primitive failed in: PlatformFunction>>#call due to General protection fault - read from invalid memory location". We do call various other dlls without a problem, so it's not just PlatformFunctions in general. I've now observed this for a few different functions with various (or no) parameters, in VA7 on WinXP and VA6.02 on Win2K.

Has anyone experienced (and hopefully worked around) anything like this with a JAVA-based (or other) dll?

Also, the "primary" dll may be making calls out to several other dlls, so I'm not sure if that could be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

-----------------------
Brian O'Connell
Simulation Domain
Joint Analysis System (JAS)
TheIconoclast

Postby marten » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:18 pm

Are you sure about the calling convention of the Java dll ? And what is a Java DLL ???? Do you have any prototype of the function you call ?
marten
[|]

Postby TheIconoclast » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:41 am

And what is a Java DLL ????
I wasn't aware of the existence of Java DLLs, either. Apparently, they're DLLs which are natively compiled in Java (which stands to reason), which allows them to be called quite easily from Java code, but much more convolutedly from other languages.

Are you sure about the calling convention of the Java dll
I was actually rather hoping for some insight on this. From the little bit of information that I've found, Java DLLs appear as though they might require some additional handling which has yet to make itself obvious to me in any context.

On the upside, though... I've learned that there is no need to call the JAVA wrapping and can call the FORTRAN dll directly, which is working as one would expect PlatformFunctions to work. :)
TheIconoclast

Postby marten » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:14 am

TheIconoclast wrote:And what is a Java DLL ????
I wasn't aware of the existence of Java DLLs, either. Apparently, they're DLLs which are natively compiled in Java (which stands to reason), which allows them to be called quite easily from Java code, but much more convolutedly from other languages.

Are you sure about the calling convention of the Java dll
I was actually rather hoping for some insight on this. From the little bit of information that I've found, Java DLLs appear as though they might require some additional handling which has yet to make itself obvious to me in any context.

On the upside, though... I've learned that there is no need to call the JAVA wrapping and can call the FORTRAN dll directly, which is working as one would expect PlatformFunctions to work. :)

Any link to that technology ? Actually .NET also creates DLL, but do not try to use these dynamic link libraries ...
marten
[|]

Postby wembley » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

I found a couple possibilities by Googling 'Java dll':

1) Excelsior JET - http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jet.html

2) Neva Object Technology JavaDllBuilder - http://www.nevaobject.com/jdlldetails.htm

I have no experience using either of these products and also no knowledge as to whether either of these is what was used to create the 'java dll' in question.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0