Manifest Files

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Manifest Files

Postby cwolcott » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:15 am

I accidently put an uncommented manifest file on my Windows XP and it caused all sorts of issues for a packaged image. Icons were missing and certain widgets would not refresh. I then renamed the manifiest file and re-launched the image and everything was OK. A side note is I did the same on the open image and everything seemed OK when the uncommented manifest file was used.

I thought the manifest file would not affect the image on Windows XP.

Any thoughts? :?
Chris Wolcott
Simulation Domain Lead
Joint Analysis Simulation (JAS)
cwolcott
[|]

Postby wembley » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:46 pm

Chris -

No, a manifest file used with an image prior to 7.5 will give you just what you saw -- scrambled widgets. Only 7.5 and later has the modified widget code to go with manifests.

On Windows XP, even with 7.5, there can be issues. It seems to vary from machine to machine -- some machines work fine, some take an exception before the image is even fully realized, some exhibit a combination of the 2 ends of the spectrum. This has been a very difficult bug to shoot since it seems to depend on which updates have been applied to Windows XP and does not exhibit the same symptoms in the debugger from run to run.

Bottom line, don't enable the manifests on Windows XP (yet)!

John
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby cwolcott » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will leave it commented out and include a readme file for the installation of our product on Vista machines.
Chris Wolcott
Simulation Domain Lead
Joint Analysis Simulation (JAS)
cwolcott
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0