VA 7.5 - auto version numbering choices

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

VA 7.5 - auto version numbering choices

Postby marten » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:12 am

I noticed, that in VA 7.5 more or less often when I want to version a configuration map (perhaps also an application) the system shows up a dialog and offers me a new version number (as usual).

In 7.5 this version number is not derived from the configuration map (or in general the object) I want to version (e.g. version 0.8 -> 0.9), but from a selection of versionings (of various objects) I did in the past. The system seems to select the best choice it can get from that list - which has perhaps nothing to do with the object I want to version.

I did not notice this behaviour in previous VASmalltalk versions ... for me this seems to be a strange behaviour.

I can get the original auto numbering behaviour when I clear the list of suggestions.
marten
[|]

Postby Diane Engles » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:29 am

Hi Marten,

I worked for a bit with RH Linux, but I am not sure I saw the behavior oyou are describing.

I certainly got varied names in the dropdown box, but the suggested selections always seemed to be an increment of the previous version of the map I was versioning; e.g. V 7.5.0 [88]1 rather than "New Version" or "0.9" which were also in the dropdown list.

Could you post some detailed steps to follow so I can try to reproduce the behavior?

Thanks,

Diane
Instantiations Smalltalk Support
diane@instantiations.com
Diane Engles

Postby marten » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:55 am

I noticed this under Windows. I had an open edition and the last version was 0.8.

When I wanted to version it I thought it should get 0.9 - but instead I got (prefilled) the version number 0.9.2 (which was in the suggestion list).

I closed the dialog, cleared the suggestion list and I got 0.9 (as expected)

I've noticed this two times yet ...

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:18 pm

Do you have any version name template selected other than the system default?

Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby marten » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:46 pm

Eric Clayberg wrote:Do you have any version name template selected other than the system default?

Yes, I used the system defaults - but I think I can narrow the error. I've used in the past more and more the option

Version>>Include subapplications & classes>one name

Could it be, that the software adds the best fit AND the calculated number together and offers this to me.

I just tested it. I created a new application and for this application it offers me for the first version: '1.01.01.0' and '1.01.0' is in the suggestion list and '1.0' would be the normal version.

When I clear the suggestion list I get at once '1.0' for the first version.

Marten
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0