VA Wrapper: base64 support

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

VA Wrapper: base64 support

Postby marten » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:24 pm

I just looked around for interesting dlls and I found the base of GTK+ (GNOME): glib is a pretty interesting one: its written in C and is available under Windows, Linux, Solaris ... everywhere GNOME is available.

One of the features within the glib is base64 support - which is perhaps known from MIME standard and EMan. I just wrote a wrapper for the base64 API calls within the glib and wrote a C wrapper around that to get rid of the cdecl problems. It was just a project to get a feeling how fast it is ... against EMan or the AbtBase64Coder class.

The result (just as an information) are: 594ms (for 600k binary stream and AbtBase64Coder) against 32ms - 47ms (using GLib).

The library is just for fun, but it seems to work and is very fast - and the glib offers many nice things ... you may download the code from my site and start play around with it.

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby tc » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:05 pm

Sounds cool :)

--tc
tc

Postby marten » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:19 am

tc wrote:Sounds cool :)

--tc

Not to make people dream. The glib has more than 1000 APi calls ... and the base64 related APIs are just 6 of them ... but other people may look into this library and find nice things like: hash tables, trees, unicode support, timers ...
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0