First feedback on 7.5

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

First feedback on 7.5

Postby bpieber » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:25 pm

I just installed VA Smalltalk 7.5 (on Windows XP) and wanted to give you a first feedback:
- I really like the features you chose for 7.5, especially Vista support, the Refactoring Browser, SUnit and ENVY/QA.
- I also like the new icons.
- Great to see the improved website.
Thank you for the new version!

I noticed a minor glitch: In the installation guide there is a link to the migration guide which does not work.

The first thing I did was to load the SUnit feature and ran all the tests. However, there are a lot of failures. I assume some of them are no problem but others probably are. See http://www.software-generation.com/vast/SUnitFailures.png for a list.

Does anyone happen to know which ones are real problems?

Cheers,
Bernhard
bpieber

SUnitBrowser test failures

Postby bpieber » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:26 pm

I had a little bit of time to look at some of the SUnitBrowser test failures. At least some of them have to do with the fact that the SUnitUI was removed from SUnit but the SUnitBrowser tests has not been updated accordingly.

Cheers,
Bernhard
bpieber

Postby Diane Engles » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:21 pm

Hi Bernhard,

Thanks for your report. I have found a way to repair the SUnitBrowser tests.

There are 2 methods which were removed from the class SUnitTest in the past: testDebugUI and testFailureDebugUI. From the versions of the SUnit config maps in our library, it appears they were removed in Version Camp Smalltalk 3.1 RC4 EDW.

There are specific references to these two methods in SUnitBrowserAbsTC>>sunitPassingTests

SUnitBrowserAbsTC>>sunitPassingTests

^self suite allTests reject: [:each | #(testDebugUI testFailureDebugUI) includes: each selector]

and a reference to TestDebugUI in SUnitBrowserAbsTC>>sunitErrorTests

SUnitBrowserAbsTC>>sunitErrorTests
^self suite allTests select: [:each | each selector = #testDebugUI]

I found these methods in SUnit CampSmalltalk Version 3.0. I added them back and then the SUnitBrowser Tests all passed.
I plan to make a specific version of the SUnit tests for the SUnitBrower and leave the SUnit tests they way they are in the current versions we have in

VA Smalltalk so all tests will pass. This will be updated in 7.5.1

Regards.

Diane
Instantiations Smalltalk Support
diane@instantiations.com
Diane Engles

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0