Vista problems

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Vista problems

Postby stevemessamore » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:43 pm

Hi all,
I've been trying to install VA 7.5 onto a Vista machine, and keep getting a message box itled "MISSING 2 in cwcswin", with the message "MISSING 1 in cwcswin". This happens just after trying to start the Development Image. Hitting "Yes" on the dialog closes it for a second, but it just re-appears. Hitting no closes it permenatly, but then VA just hangs on the splash screen.

At first I was running it on Vista Ultimate 64 bit, and then I thought that maybe the 64 bit OS was a problem, so I tried it on Vista Business 32 bit, but am getting the same thing there.

I told the installer to configure VA to connect to the local (and freshly installed) library.

Searching the web for the "cwcsin" produces 1 result (google), and that's a forum post from 1998 where someone got the same error running Windows NT 3.51, but no solution was posted.

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Steve
stevemessamore

Re: Vista problems

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:33 pm

Where did you install VAST?

Have you reviewed the Windows Vista Installation Considerations in the readme file?

Windows Vista Installation Considerations

Windows Vista provides a new security component called User Account Control (UAC). UAC enables all users to perform common tasks as non-administrators, called standard users in Windows Vista, and as administrators when neccessary. A standard user account is the same as a user account in Windows XP. UAC provides an increased level of security in Windows Vista compared to previous versions of Windows, but it also imposes some limitations on the location and useage of files.

The following discussion assumes that your Windows Vista system is running with UAC enabled (as recommended by Microsoft).

Setup

Because the VA Smalltalk Client and VA Smalltalk Manager Installer can install files in directories that are shared by all users on a system, these setup programs must run in administrator mode.

Manager

If you choose the default location (C:\Program Files\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\7.5) when doing a Manager install, you will need to move the code repository file C:\Program Files\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\7.5\manager\mgr75.dat to a different location that is not in a UAC-protected directory. For example, you could move it to C:\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\7.5\manager\mgr75.dat.

Client

If you choose the default location (C:\Program Files\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\7.5) when doing a Client install, you will need to move the files in the image directory C:\Program Files\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\7.5\image750 to a different location that is not in a UAC-protected directory. The best location for these files is in your user directory tree. For example, you could move them to C:\Users\<yourUserName>\Documents\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\7.5. You will need to change the properties of the All Programs shortcut named VA Smalltalk Client 7.5 -> Development Image 7.5 so that the 'Start in:' field holds the name of the directory that you created above. For example, %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\7.5.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Re: Vista problems

Postby marten » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:36 pm

No answer ... but here are the texts and the location:

MxCWcsWin1 means: %1 requires WIN32s %2.%3 (or greater).
MxCWxsWin2 means: Incorrect WIN32s Version

Both messages are send in OSWidget class>>checkVersion

Code: Select all
checkVersion
   "Private - Check the OS version and exit if not compatible."

"No Windows versions lower than 95/98/ME or NT 4.0 supported."
   Is95Shell ifFalse: [
      HwndNull
         messageBox: (MxCWcsWin1 bindWith: System startUpClass applicationName)  "$NLS$ %1 requires Windows 95/98/ME, Windows NT 4.0 (or greater)."
         lpszTitle: MxCWcsWin2  "$NLS$ Incorrect Windows Version"
         fuStyle: ((MbIconhand bitOr: MbTaskmodal) bitOr: MbOk).
      System exit]

and it is initialized here:

Code: Select all
initializePlatformState
   "Private - Initialize the PlatformGlobals that define which version of Windows is running."

| versionInfo |

(versionInfo := OSVersioninfo new) getVersionEx   yourself.

IsWin95 := versionInfo dwPlatformId ==  VerPlatformWin32Windows.
   IsWinNT := versionInfo dwPlatformId == VerPlatformWin32Nt.
   Is95Shell := versionInfo dwMajorVersion >= 4
marten
[|]

Postby stevemessamore » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:33 am

Hiya,

Sorry it took me so long to respond... been busy!

The installation location was the problem. Guess I should have read the readme, eh? Oh well, thanks for the help.
Cheers,
Steve
stevemessamore

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0