7.5 - looks nice ...

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

7.5 - looks nice ...

Postby marten » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:33 am

Ok, the 7.5 is out and now we have all the old tools (SUnit, Refactoring Browser, ENVY/QA) officially supported within the product. Thanks for
that.

And the icons are really nice to look at ...

During the installation under Windowx XP I did not get menu entries for starting/viewing the documentation server. I can use the menu entry for my VA7.01 - but then I have access to the 7.0 documentation.

I get errors, that the license file could not be found (when trying to download) - but that will be solved :-)

Ok, then we have now better Linux support. For SuSE Enterprise Linux ? Nice - but the situation has not changed very much. No free Linux distribution is supported and this is really bad ! No support for OpenSuse, no support for Fedora and no support for Ubuntu or Debian.

Finding a web hoster suitable for VASmalltalk is therefore very, very difficult - or pretty expensive (actually I would not know any hoster here in Germany offering RedHat or SuSE Enterprise - they offer Linux SuSE 9.x, 10.x and Debian - this is the "mainstream" market under Linux). Perhaps marketing makes it possible next year or in two years ... or we do it on our own riscs.

And yes of course: VISTA support. I have no Vista yet - but it is good to know, that it is supported.

Ok, I'll jump to 7.5 ..

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby cwolcott » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:50 am

So far everything looks great on Vista. Enabling the Windows themes via the executables manifest looks great. It will take about a week or two to bring our suite up to VA 7.5.

We are begining development testing for a March 31 release of JAS. If I can get the baseline moved over to 7.5 in the next two weeks I hope to release our product on top of 7.5 instead of 7.0 :D
Chris Wolcott
Simulation Domain Lead
Joint Analysis Simulation (JAS)
cwolcott
[|]

Re: 7.5 - looks nice ...

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:34 am

marten wrote:And the icons are really nice to look at

They should look much better under Linux that what we had before.

How about the our new VAST web site? :-)

marten wrote:I get errors, that the license file could not be found (when trying to download) - but that will be solved :-)

That should be solved now.

marten wrote:Ok, then we have now better Linux support. For SuSE Enterprise Linux ? Nice - but the situation has not changed very much. No free Linux distribution is supported and this is really bad ! No support for OpenSuse, no support for Fedora and no support for Ubuntu or Debian.

Don't confuse "no official support" for "won't run". Officially supported means that we have fully tested the product (and ENVY) on that platform and are willing to make reasonable gauarantees that the product will run there. As we have shown with Fedora (and you have demonstarted with Ubuntu), the product can be made to run on just about any Linux distrubution with very little effort.

The disjoint, fractured nature of the Linux world itself makes it impossible to officially support every possible Linux distribution. There are, in fact, dozens of different Linux distributions that are subtly and/or significantly incompatible with one another. This is even true within versions of the same Linux distribution. You simply can't write a program that targets Linux and expect it to work on the next release of that same distribution or any other distribution. As a result, you are forced to pick and choose a couple of distributions that you will officially support and pray that you get lucky elsewhere. IBM chose the versions of Linux that it would support based on what their large customers requested. We inherited those supported platforms and have been moving to increase the number of supported Linux platforms since (SuSE now being a supported platforms with 7.5, for example). Each new Linux platforms that we add requires a week or more of engineering time to run all of the various tests that we have (for both the base image and for ENVY). For each major or minor VAST release that we do, each additional Linux platform adds several days to our release testing.

BTW, the Eclipse platform and SWT engineering teams have the same problem with Linux that we and everyone else does. If you look at the list of Linux platforms officially supported by Eclipse, you will see that it is pretty short (Red Hat and SUSE). Eclipse does in fact run on other Linux distributions (just as VAST does), but no one has the time to test it on every possible combination and track down every minor incompatibility.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby marten » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:39 am

Eric Clayberg wrote:
marten wrote:And the icons are really nice to look at

They should look much better under Linux that what we had before.

Yes, they look much better under Linux: http://www.schrievkrom.de/userfiles/virtim.gif

but you forgot the Organizer view ?

Eric Clayberg wrote:How about the our new VAST web site? :-)

Without a question: an improvement ....

Now, we need a larger active community :-)

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby daswartz » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:40 pm

Eric Clayberg wrote:How about the our new VAST web site? :-)

Hmmm. I like the new web site, but I'm wondering about the download policy. I just tried to download a 7.5 client and manager at home to try it out and spend some time figuring out what it'll take to migrate at work. Unfortunately the download page said "your evaluation or support period has expired". :(

Do I have to reregister to download the new version? I don't even know who has the logon credentials at work, and it'll probably be at least a couple of months until we "officially" get around to looking at it there. I don't want to wait!

thanks
daswartz

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:11 pm

daswartz wrote:Do I have to reregister to download the new version?

Yes. If your eval download period has expired, you need to ask for an extension. Try it again now and it should let you download.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0