VA 7.01, Linux and several smaller problems

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

VA 7.01, Linux and several smaller problems

Postby marten » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:22 am

After now working with Linux again for one day I found some problems. Due to the fact, that I noticed these bugs under ubuntu 6.10 (which is not an official support platform) - these notices are only hints and not error reports - but who cares about these differences: surely not the customer.

abt.ini

To start a HTML browser VASmalltalk has still the default "netscape" name as the default browser. Lots of people are now using firefox. To make the whole stuff work with firefox - just add a line to the HELP section within abt.ini:

Code: Select all
[Help]
HelpRootDirectory=/usr/local/VASmalltalk/7.0/help
Zipped=1
Browser=firefox

I also think, that the entry "Zipped" (wrong key name) should be "ZippedWeb"

VAAssist

Some dialogs are crashing - this seems to be due to VAAssist. Just disable this product and some dialogs/windows work again. Best example is:

Go to the Transcript window, browse for implementors, which surely do not exists, so that it asks you again ... and then select "yes".

Perhaps other could also post all these small little bugs available on the not-main platforms.

Marten
marten
[|]

Re: VA 7.01, Linux and several smaller problems

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:52 am

marten wrote:Go to the Transcript window, browse for implementors, which surely do not exists, so that it asks you again ... and then select "yes".

Can you post any associated walkback logs?
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby marten » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:08 am

Eric Clayberg wrote:
marten wrote:Go to the Transcript window, browse for implementors, which surely do not exists, so that it asks you again ... and then select "yes".

Can you post any associated walkback logs?

In the example above:

StsTextPrompter>>#createShell
shell := self parent createDialogShell:

Undefined object does not understand createDialogShell:argBlock:

I'm not that sure, but these code also breaks under OS/2 (but who uses this ?).

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby marten » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:37 am

marten wrote:After now working with Linux again for one day I found some problems. Due to the fact, that I noticed these bugs under ubuntu 6.10 (which is not an official support platform) - these notices are only hints and not error reports - but who cares about these differences: surely not the customer.

COPY/PASTE in GUI

I just noticed, that I can COPY a text from window "A", but I cannot paste
this text into window "A" again. I can paste the text into any other window - but not into the source window.

To get around it: Copy the selected text into a new workspace. Select the text in this workspace again and paste it into the original source window.

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby marten » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:44 am

marten wrote:After now working with Linux again for one day I found some problems. Due to the fact, that I noticed these bugs under ubuntu 6.10 (which is not an official support platform) - these notices are only hints and not error reports - but who cares about these differences: surely not the customer.

walkback when opening browsers

I get (more or less frequently) errors when opening browsers with a hierarchical class list.

The walkback occurs in:

EwTableTreeNode(EwTableListNode)>>#rowSeparatorHeight

^self widget rowSeparatorHeight

UndefinedObject does not understand rowSeparatorHeight

Marten Feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby marten » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:52 am

pop up menus

There are several pop-up menus, which are closing themselfs at once after they popped up. I do not know the reason for that - but it seems for me, that when the window (or better: widget - the source for that pop-up menu) is large enough, the pop-menus are working correctly.

AbtCWDatabaseLoginView

This view is misformed. The Cancel-Button is nearly not visible. I do not know the reason for this - BUT the button is shown in a correct way when in the method "openOnSpec:parent:" the line "form defaultButton: self okButton" is NOT executed !

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby wembley » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:35 am

abt.ini

To start a HTML browser VASmalltalk has still the default "netscape" name as the default browser. Lots of people are now using firefox. To make the whole stuff work with firefox - just add a line to the HELP section within abt.ini:

Code:

[Help]
HelpRootDirectory=/usr/local/VASmalltalk/7.0/help
Zipped=1
Browser=firefox

I also think, that the entry "Zipped" (wrong key name) should be "ZippedWeb"

You are right about the key being incorrect. However, it does not affect the operation of the help system since the default if the entry is not provided is '1' -- I guess that's why it hasn't been noticed since the code was written 7 or so years ago :)

Perhaps a comment in the .ini file about firefox (or any other compatible browser) would be good.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby Diane Engles » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:16 pm

marten wrote:

Go to the Transcript window, browse for implementors, which surely do not exists, so that it asks you again ... and then select "yes".

Marten,

I have reproduced this problem on RedHat 4.3 which is officially supported and have opened an defect. It is case number 24852.

Regards,

Diane
Instantiations Smalltalk Support
diane@instantiations.com
Diane Engles

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0