Running VAST 7 under Fedora 6

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Running VAST 7 under Fedora 6

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:39 pm

We have been able to get VA Smalltalk running on Fedora Core 6 by making some symbolic links:

cd to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11

create a symbolic link -- ln -s /usr/share/X11/XKeysymDB XKeysymDB

cd to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale

make symbolic links to

/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8
/usr/share/X11/locale/locale.alias
/usr/share/X11/locale/locale.dir

After making these links, VA Smalltalk should start up without any locale or Keysym errors.

Alternatively you can copy the files, if you do not want to create the symbolic links.

This technique will likely work with other unsupported Linux distributions as well.

We are working on a more permanent solution.
Last edited by Eric Clayberg on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

VA Smalltalk on fc5

Postby Martin » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:15 pm

I tried your workaround on fc5 and it works!
Martin

Re: Running VAST 7 under Fedora 6

Postby marten » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:58 am

Eric Clayberg wrote:We have been able to get VA Smalltalk running on Fedora Core 6 by making some symbolic links:

As I mentioned in another thread this also applies to Ubuntu 6.10 - but I noticed today another problem: you cannot enter german umlauts or the euro sign within the browser. Very strange icons are shown then, when I enter these special characters.

Any ideas ?

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby marten » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:20 am

This is also true for VASmalltalk 7.5. When will this be corrected AND how can I enter special German characters ??????

Marten
marten
[|]

Postby rwbeukema » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:02 pm

Thanks for making this work!

I've been developing on Suse Linux professional for years and panicked when the move to opensuse 10.2 broke VAST. Now I'm back in business.

We've always deployed to eComStation in the field, Windows in the offices. Getting eComStation onto the latest hardware upgrade was tough. They're doing a good job but they obviously can't cover all the hardware and my organization doesn't ask me about eComStation before they settle on a bulk purchase. Having the Linux option makes my life a whole lot easier.

Also thanks for Marten for the hint about csh on Ubuntu 6.10. I use external processes a lot - installing csh solved that problem. Ubuntu should be a lot easier for the field people to install than suse so I really wanted it to work.

you guys made my day :D
rwbeukema

Postby rwbeukema » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:20 pm

I forgot to mention that my VAST application runs very nicely under FreeBSD 6.2 just in case somebody is keeping a list of known production environments.

It's a desktop application, but some processes are useful as services so I deploy it on a FreeBSD server and run the display into a virtual frame buffer. There's probably a more elegant way to do this, but this is dead easy to setup. The program just runs forever processing files from an input directory and writing them to various output directories.
rwbeukema

Postby TheIconoclast » Mon May 14, 2007 10:40 am

I'm not sure if this is a common occurence, but my Fedora Core 6 installation didn't have the directories under /usr/X11R6 (I installed without a network connection, so maybe I missed out on some standard updates or add-ins). I just mkdir'ed what I needed (/lib, /X11, /locale) and then made the symbolic links, and everything worked fine.

It's rather obvious, but I thought worth at least noting.

Brian O'Connell
TheIconoclast

Postby solveig » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:17 pm

marten wrote:This is also true for VASmalltalk 7.5. When will this be corrected AND how can I enter special German characters ??????

Marten

For full instructions on how to enter special German characters in VA SMalltalk running on Fedora, Ubuntu and OpenSUSE, see the FAQ
Q: The characters that my language shares with English show up properly, but how can I get my text widgets to show my non-English character input?
on the Instantiations FAQ page
URL: http://www.instantiations.com/VAST/detail/faq-tech.html

Solveig
solveig

Environment variable alternative to symlinks

Postby MartinMcC » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:32 pm

Gentoo also has the keysym/locale problem. I believe that newer versions of the X.org server use /usr/share/X11 as the standard location, so all distros will probably hit this soon.

If you don't want to use symlinks or copying, I've found that putting this in your environment also works, and you don't need to be root to do it:

Code: Select all
export XKEYSYMDB=/usr/share/X11/XKeysymDB
export XLOCALEDIR=/usr/share/X11/locale

Regards,

-Martin
MartinMcC

Linux: What about copy/paste within ONE window ?

Postby marten » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:16 am

solveig wrote:
marten wrote:This is also true for VASmalltalk 7.5. When will this be corrected AND how can I enter special German characters ??????

Marten

For full instructions on how to enter special German characters in VA SMalltalk running on Fedora, Ubuntu and OpenSUSE, see the FAQ
Q: The characters that my language shares with English show up properly, but how can I get my text widgets to show my non-English character input?
on the Instantiations FAQ page
URL: http://www.instantiations.com/VAST/detail/faq-tech.html

Solveig

I've just created a new VMWare virtual image and noticed, that I can use the german umlauts, which is pretty fine - but what about the non working Copy/Paste menu features ? The user is still not able to copy/paste code within ONE window (it works among different windows).
marten
[|]

Postby davidg » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:00 am

rwbeukema wrote:I forgot to mention that my VAST application runs very nicely under FreeBSD 6.2 just in case somebody is keeping a list of known production environments.

It's a desktop application, but some processes are useful as services so I deploy it on a FreeBSD server and run the display into a virtual frame buffer. There's probably a more elegant way to do this, but this is dead easy to setup. The program just runs forever processing files from an input directory and writing them to various output directories.

The VAST IDE also runs on FreeBSD 6.2

You just have to install bash before starting VAST setup, because otherwise setup wont work.
davidg

Postby mea405 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:38 am

davidg wrote:
rwbeukema wrote:I forgot to mention that my VAST application runs very nicely under FreeBSD 6.2 just in case somebody is keeping a list of known production environments.

The VAST IDE also runs on FreeBSD 6.2

You just have to install bash before starting VAST setup, because otherwise setup wont work.

Can be then and under MacOS X it will work? :)
Maxim
mea405

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0