StsDebugger: Through button disabled when SST is loaded?

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

StsDebugger: Through button disabled when SST is loaded?

Postby bpieber » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:18 am

When I load the SST feature the Debugger Class is set to SstDebugger, which has no Through-Button. I can set it back to the StSDebugger in Options > Open Preferences Window... > System Configuration > Debugger Class.

However, the Through button is always disabled. I found the following method:

StsDebugger>>setButtonSensitivity

"Greys and restores the appropriate buttons on the debugger."

super setButtonSensitivity.
self stepThroughButtonWidget sensitive: self stepOverButtonWidget sensitive & self isSstLoaded not.
self stepToCursorButtonWidget sensitive: self stepOverButtonWidget sensitive.
self defineWidget sensitive: self defineWidgetShouldBeEnabled.
self gbxIsGSFrameSelected ifTrue: [
self stepToReturnButtonWidget sensitive: false ]

This seems to disable the Through-Button if SST is loaded. What is the reason for this?

I always wondered what are the difference between the four different Debugger classes. Are there any negative consequences when I switch from SstDebugger to StsDebugger?

Cheers,
Bernhard
bpieber

Re: StsDebugger: Through button disabled when SST is loaded?

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:17 am

bpieber wrote:This seems to disable the Through-Button if SST is loaded. What is the reason for this?

It doesn't work. ;-)

I wrote the original enhanced debugger code as part of VA Assist almost ten years ago. Getting the Through button working with the standard VAST debugger was quite difficult.

I tried geting it to work with SST about five years ago, but I didn't know anything about SST, so I gave up after a couple of days.

bpieber wrote:I always wondered what are the difference between the four different Debugger classes. Are there any negative consequences when I switch from SstDebugger to StsDebugger?

The StsDebugger is the VA Assist-enhanced version of the standard VAST debugger. The SstDebugger is the SST debugger and is presumably needed, if you are debugging SST code.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0