DeskPanel vs BorderPanel

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

DeskPanel vs BorderPanel

Postby tom_markel » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:05 am

Wouldn't BorderPanel (ala Swing/AWT) be a better name for this? Or is this SWT-like.?

I'm having numerous problems positioning objects in the DeskPanel. e.g. I added a TextArea to use for a status area at the bottom (South) and it appears elsewhere...???
tom_markel

Re: DeskPanel vs BorderPanel

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:03 am

tom_markel wrote:Wouldn't BorderPanel (ala Swing/AWT) be a better name for this? Or is this SWT-like.?

Do you mean DockPanel? The names were selected by Google, so we have no control over them.

tom_markel wrote:I'm having numerous problems positioning objects in the DeskPanel. e.g. I added a TextArea to use for a status area at the bottom (South) and it appears elsewhere...???

Keep in mind that a DockPanel will automatically pack its contents. If no other widgets are in the panel, the "south" widget will be by itself toward the top of the panel rather than the bottom. In this respect, DockPanel is very different than the Swing BorderLayout.

Ultimately, the behavior here is controled by GWT, not GWT Designer. We are showing the real GWT widgets as they will appear at runtime (for better or worse). If you don't like how a particular panel works (or have an idea for a better panel), I would encourage you to make that suggestion on Google's GWT forum.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

DeskPanel details...

Postby tom_markel » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:46 am

Thanks for the clarification on this.

Is there a panel that behaves simular to Swing's BorderPanel?

P.S.
I think you have the start to a great killer GWT IDE. Glad I can preview it.... I have developed Swing, J2EE, C# you name it and I like a platform (IDE) that encompasses the server and client-side.
tom_markel

Return to GWT Designer