No Design Tab

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

No Design Tab

Postby electronicpowert » Sat May 01, 2010 10:21 am

I just install GWT Designer the second time. I can create a new project as in the LoginManager example. Everything seams correct but in the java editor I don't see the Design and the source Tab.

What is wrong whith my installation?

Regards

Thomas
electronicpowert

Re: No Design Tab

Postby nawglan » Sat May 01, 2010 10:41 am

You need to change which editor is used to open those files. Right click, Open With, WindowBuilder Editor.
nawglan

Postby electronicpowert » Sat May 01, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks for the quick answer!

I installed eclipse and GWT designer the third time. And now after creating the project the correct editor shows up. Both Tabs are visible.
Last time I added the android developing tools in eclipse. Can that be the reason that the editor was changed?
electronicpowert

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sat May 01, 2010 2:08 pm

Very unlikely. Multiple editors are available in Eclipse to edit Java files. Just make sure that you are using teh correct one...

http://download.instantiations.com/D2WB ... #DesignTab

Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby marcode » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:05 am

Hy there,

I'm currently evaluating the SWT Builder and I do face the same problem. I have several projects in my workspace, and in all but
one I can successfully use the WindowBuilder Editor. So in one of the projects, even when manually selecting open with->WindowBuilder Editor and opening
a class extending Composite I do not see the Window Builder Editor (although the Icon on the tab says that it is the WindowBuilder editor).
But no source, design and databinding tab!

Info: OS X 10.6, Eclipse RPC 3.6 just updated your packages.

please help!

cheers,
marco

PS: maybe this is a hint:
Code: Select all
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.instantiations.designer.core.views.StructureView.getExtractableControl(StructureView.java:23)
   at com.instantiations.designer.core.views.AbstractExtractableDesignView.doCreatePage(AbstractExtractableDesignView.java:184)
   at org.eclipse.ui.part.PageBookView.createPage(PageBookView.java:408)
   at org.eclipse.ui.part.PageBookView.partActivated(PageBookView.java:751)
   at org.eclipse.ui.part.PageBookView$4.partActivated(PageBookView.java:1010)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartListenerList2$1.run(PartListenerList2.java:70)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:888)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartListenerList2.fireEvent(PartListenerList2.java:55)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartListenerList2.firePartActivated(PartListenerList2.java:68)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartService.firePartActivated(PartService.java:192)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartService.setActivePart(PartService.java:306)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPagePartList.fireActivePartChanged(WorkbenchPagePartList.java:57)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartList.setActivePart(PartList.java:136)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.setActivePart(WorkbenchPage.java:3537)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.internalActivate(WorkbenchPage.java:617)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.activate(WorkbenchPage.java:589)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.makeActive(WorkbenchPage.java:1250)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.updateActivePart(WorkbenchPage.java:1230)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.handleDeferredEvents(WorkbenchPage.java:1421)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.deferUpdates(WorkbenchPage.java:1410)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.closeEditors(WorkbenchPage.java:1384)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.closeEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:1439)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorPane.doHide(EditorPane.java:61)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.close(PartStack.java:541)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorStack.close(EditorStack.java:206)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack$1.close(PartStack.java:120)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.TabbedStackPresentation$1.handleEvent(TabbedStackPresentation.java:83)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.AbstractTabFolder.fireEvent(AbstractTabFolder.java:269)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.AbstractTabFolder.fireEvent(AbstractTabFolder.java:278)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.defaultpresentation.DefaultTabFolder.access$1(DefaultTabFolder.java:1)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.defaultpresentation.DefaultTabFolder$1.closeButtonPressed(DefaultTabFolder.java:71)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.PaneFolder.notifyCloseListeners(PaneFolder.java:631)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.PaneFolder$3.close(PaneFolder.java:206)
   at org.eclipse.swt.custom.CTabFolder.onMouse(CTabFolder.java:1595)
   at org.eclipse.swt.custom.CTabFolder$1.handleEvent(CTabFolder.java:261)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:3776)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1367)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1390)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1375)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Widget.java:1187)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3622)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3277)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2629)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2593)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2427)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:670)
   at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:663)
   at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:115)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:369)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:619)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:574)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1407)
Attachments
eclipse.jpg
Sample screenshot showing the missing design tab, although the WindowBuilder editor is selected!
eclipse.jpg (222.31 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Last edited by marcode on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
marcode

Postby Eric Clayberg » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:07 am

Please provide screen shots of what you are seeing and an example class where you see this happen. We also need to see your complete Eclipse ".log" file.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby marcode » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:33 am

please see above, i could not find any specific messages in the logfiles.
marcode

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:52 pm

We need to see your complete Eclipse ".log" file showing the above exception and any preceding exceptions.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby marcode » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:46 pm

This is the logfile on the following sequence of steps:

1. Open Eclipse
2. Open File -> http://elexis.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/elexis/elexis-base/file/6908e7183395/elexis/src/ch/elexis/views/Patientenblatt2.java
3. Close Eclipse

The result is as shown above in the screenshot!
!SESSION 2010-07-29 08:39:43.128 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=I20100608-0911
java.version=1.6.0_20
java.vendor=Apple Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=de_DE
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.rcp.product -keyring /Users/marco/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.rcp.product -keyring /Users/marco/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2010-07-29 08:39:49.928
!MESSAGE System property http.nonProxyHosts has been set to local|*.local|169.254/16|*.169.254/16 by an external source. This value will be overwritten using the values from the preferences
!SESSION 2010-07-29 08:40:47.142 -----------------------------------------------
java.version=1.6.0_20
java.vendor=Apple Inc.
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.rcp.product -keyring /Users/marco/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.rcp.product -keyring /Users/marco/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2010-07-29 08:40:59.346
!MESSAGE System property http.nonProxyHosts has been set to local|*.local|169.254/16|*.169.254/16 by an external source. This value will be overwritten using the values from the preferences
marcode

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:44 am

Does this happen with all classes you edit or only this specific one?

We still need to see your complete Eclipse ".log" file showing the NPE you reported earlier. Your latest post does not show that at all.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby marcode » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:11 am

This happens to all classes within the project, as soon as I switch the project I can access the DesignBuilder editor correctly.

The Exception formerly presented does only happen when manually opening the WindowBuilder/Structure view with the class opened.

This is the full error log, I cant find any more logs except for the default plugin configuration info:
!SESSION 2010-07-29 08:39:43.128 -----------------------------------------------
java.version=1.6.0_20
java.vendor=Apple Inc.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2010-07-29 08:39:49.928
!SESSION 2010-07-29 08:40:47.142 -----------------------------------------------
java.version=1.6.0_20
java.vendor=Apple Inc.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2010-07-29 08:40:59.346

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.workbench 4 0 2010-07-29 15:04:52.441
!MESSAGE Unable to create view ID com.instantiations.designer.core.StructureView: An unexpected exception was thrown.
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.instantiations.designer.core.views.StructureView.getExtractableControl(StructureView.java:23)
   at com.instantiations.designer.core.views.AbstractExtractableDesignView.doCreatePage(AbstractExtractableDesignView.java:184)
   at org.eclipse.ui.part.PageBookView.createPage(PageBookView.java:408)
   at org.eclipse.ui.part.PageBookView.partActivated(PageBookView.java:751)
   at org.eclipse.ui.part.PageBookView.showBootstrapPart(PageBookView.java:920)
   at org.eclipse.ui.part.PageBookView.createPartControl(PageBookView.java:491)
   at com.instantiations.designer.core.views.AbstractExtractableDesignView.createPartControl(AbstractExtractableDesignView.java:50)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPartHelper(ViewReference.java:375)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPart(ViewReference.java:229)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:595)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Perspective.showView(Perspective.java:2245)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyShowView(WorkbenchPage.java:1071)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$20.run(WorkbenchPage.java:3822)
   at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.showView(WorkbenchPage.java:3819)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.showView(WorkbenchPage.java:3795)
   at org.eclipse.ui.handlers.ShowViewHandler.openView(ShowViewHandler.java:162)
   at org.eclipse.ui.handlers.ShowViewHandler.openOther(ShowViewHandler.java:106)
   at org.eclipse.ui.handlers.ShowViewHandler.execute(ShowViewHandler.java:74)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(HandlerProxy.java:293)
   at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command.java:476)
   at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithChecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:508)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerService.executeCommand(HandlerService.java:169)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.SlaveHandlerService.executeCommand(SlaveHandlerService.java:241)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ShowViewMenu$3.run(ShowViewMenu.java:144)
   at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:498)
   at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:584)
   at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:501)
   at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:411)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:3776)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1367)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1390)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1375)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Widget.java:1187)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3622)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3277)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2629)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2593)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2427)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:670)
   at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:663)
   at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:115)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:369)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:619)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:574)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1407)
marcode

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:56 pm

We have not been able to reproduce this using any combination of steps under any OS.

marcode wrote:This happens to all classes within the project, as soon as I switch the project I can access the DesignBuilder editor correctly.

Are you saying that it only happens with one project? If you close and re-open the project, does it make any difference?

Can you send us the project?

marcode wrote:The Exception formerly presented does only happen when manually opening the WindowBuilder/Structure view with the class opened.

Is the class opened in the WB editor at the time?
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby marcode » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:34 am

Yes, it only happens within this specific project. Closing and reopening the project does not make a difference.

If I first open the resp. File (Patientenblatt2.java) the design tab is not shown, if I then (with the File openend) select
Show View/Window Builder/Structure the aforementioned Exception is thrown!

It is really as this: Only in this specific project I do not see the tabs (source/design/databinding) but in every other project SWTBuilder works flawless!

The project is http://elexis.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/ ... 395/elexis. There are a lot of subprojects in this tree,
but the error only happens within the elexis project (which forms the main rcp-product, whereas the other are bundles).
marcode

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:28 am

I'm sorry, but we have not been able to reproduce this with the project you referenced. We tried it on several different machines using both Windows and OSX. See below...

Patientenblatt2.png
Patientenblatt2.png (270.95 KiB) Viewed 578 times

The only thing I can think of is that possibly your Eclipse meta data is corrupt for this project.

What happens if you delete it and re-load it? Can you try the same project on other machines?
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Return to GWT Designer