unable to use composite

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

unable to use composite

Postby edross » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:49 am

I'm trying to build some resuable composite and having some issues.

I can build the and test the composite using the Designer windows. All seems to work ok.
When I try and include the composite in a EntryLevel class, I get errors about 80% of the time (a few components work, most do not).

There is no error, there is no indication something is wrong.

When I try and add the component to the pallette, I get a "ClassNotFound" error. The composits is in the same project, same package.

Stack trace below from the logs.

Using MyEclipse Version 8
GWT designer 7.4

I also had the Google Web ToolKit plugin installed at one time.

!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.registry 4 1 2010-03-28 07:32:24.334
!MESSAGE Plug-in org.maven.ide.eclipse.jdt was unable to load class org.maven.ide.eclipse.jdt.internal.JDTCompilationParticipant.
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter$TerminatingClassNotFoundException: An error occurred while automatically activating bundle org.maven.ide.eclipse.jdt (945).
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:125)
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:449)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.findLocalClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:211)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(BundleLoader.java:381)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:457)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:410)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:398)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:105)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:252)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.loadClass(BundleLoader.java:326)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.loadClass(BundleHost.java:231)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.loadClass(AbstractBundle.java:1193)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.createExecutableExtension(RegistryStrategyOSGI.java:160)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ExtensionRegistry.createExecutableExtension(ExtensionRegistry.java:874)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:243)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElementHandle.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElementHandle.java:51)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager$4.run(JavaModelManager.java:268)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager$CompilationParticipants.getCompilationParticipants(JavaModelManager.java:263)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.JavaBuilder.initializeBuilder(JavaBuilder.java:587)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.JavaBuilder.build(JavaBuilder.java:167)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$2.run(BuildManager.java:627)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:170)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:201)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:253)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:256)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuildLoop(BuildManager.java:309)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:341)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.doBuild(AutoBuildJob.java:140)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.run(AutoBuildJob.java:238)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Caused by: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in org.maven.ide.eclipse.jdt.MavenJdtPlugin.start() of bundle org.maven.ide.eclipse.jdt.
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:806)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:755)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:352)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.start(AbstractBundle.java:280)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.SecureAction$21.run(SecureAction.java:414)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.SecureAction.start(SecureAction.java:412)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:111)
... 32 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.maven.ide.eclipse.jdt.MavenJdtPlugin.start(MavenJdtPlugin.java:63)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$1.run(BundleContextImpl.java:783)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:774)
... 39 more
edross

Re: unable to use composite

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:41 am

I don't see GWT Designer referenced in your exception at all. It looks like you are having some sort of problem with Maven.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby edross » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:49 am

That's the point - there is no error message, there is no indication something is wrong (except if I try and add it to the palette - I says class not found on the top). It just does not work.

If I manually add the task I get mixed results. In some cases, the designer window will show the composite, in other cases, the composite does not show, but there are no errors.
edross

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:59 am

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Maven?

Have you tried it in a clean Eclipse environment without Maven?

So far, all the info you have provided indicates a problem with your Maven installation or Maven plugin. Not much we can do to help you with that.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby edross » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:19 am

I've downloaded a fresh copy of eclipse and installed (3.5), installed new Instantiantions plugin and tried the same items.
Create a module
create a composite
tried to add the composite to the module using the "choose bean"
No errors in logs, no errors on screen - but nothing happens (the cursor stays at the arrow)
Tried to add the composite to the palette
No errors in the logs
the dialog box states that "class not found" exception

If I manually add the composite from the source view, works fine.
edross

Postby Eric Clayberg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:34 am

At the time you first try to add the class, has it been compiled? Is there a .class file present for it? Have you tried refreshing/rebuilding your project? In general, a "class not found" exception is caused by one of the reasons listed here...

http://download.instantiations.com/D2WB ... FoundError

You mentioned a "Choose Bean" command. The v7.4 version of GWT Designer does not have such a command.

http://download.instantiations.com/D2WB ... lette.html

If you are using an older v6.x version of GWT Designer, please uninstall that, install v7.4, and try it again.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby edross » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Sorry for the confusion - it's not choose bean, it's "choose component" on the palette.

My web app compiles the classes into war/WEB-INF/classes. When I copy the compiled classes into the bin directory, I was able to add the composite onto the palette- hence the class not found was a result of the designer window looking into the wrong location for the classes.

(This project was created using all defaults).

two questions: -
how to tell the designer window editor to resolve classes from the correct location.
why would these classes be in the WEB-INF/classes directory at all? These will be turned into javascript?

thx for the insight
edross

Postby edross » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:46 am

Putting my class in the bin directory also makes the "choose component" also. There is a quirk in the process - if you select the component from the list (double click) it does not work, If you type in the entry box the chooser works. The expected behavior would have the double click action fill in the text box then select. The current behavior does not fill in the text box - only dismisses the form without any action
edross

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:26 am

The war/WEB-INF/classes is the expected output directory for a GWT project.

The behavior you are seeing would seem to indicate some problem with your project definition or structure.

Since this is very atypical behavior, we need to see an actual test case project.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Return to GWT Designer