Update site installation problem

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Update site installation problem

Postby giorgiog » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:49 am

I've just installed Eclipse and GWT Designer (by update site), trying to create a new GWT java project. I type in the project name, advance to next panel to create a new gwt module (without change defaults), click on finish button and eclipse show me "ImageViewer.java" in the editor page. When I switch in the designer I get the "Designer error occurred / Parse error or internal Designer error" exception. When I dismiss the error dialog I get another one saying "Designer was unable to find any GUI elements in your source. Check that the open compilation unit is a GUI class." I can run the application but the designer won't work.
Another problem (maybe the same) if I make a new Composite: "Creation of element failed. org/eclipse/jdt/core/dom/AnonymousTypeDeclaration".

My environment:
- GWT 1.5.2
- Eclipse Platform 3.4.0, Build id: I20080617-2000
- GWT Designer 5.1.0.200809081140

log.zip
errors & plugin list
(24.03 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

UPDATE
The latest stable build zip-archived version (2008.09.10) works fine, while those installed by both "latest build" and "latest release" update sites doesn't.
Giorgio Gelardi
senior designer & developer at GESINF srl
giorgiog

Re: Designer was unable to find any gui elements...

Postby pup » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:44 am

UPDATE
The latest stable build zip-archived version (2008.09.10) works fine, while those installed by both "latest build" and "latest release" update sites doesn't.

had the exact same error this morning. did you have to uninstall the "update" before installing from ZIP? Did you have to re-enter your activation code?
pup

Re: Update site installation problem

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:30 am

I just tried it, and it worked fine.

Based on your plugins list and log, the product only appears to be partially installed.

Did you install the entire product from the update site or just part of it?

After installation, you should see something like this in the Update Manager...

wb-update.png
What you should see after installing from update site
wb-update.png (43.92 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby giorgiog » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:57 pm

Eric Clayberg wrote:I just tried it, and it worked fine.
Based on your plugins list and log, the product only appears to be partially installed.

Thanks for your reply, I've made a new installation with all the plugins from the update site, but it seems unrelated.
I think the parser fail to identify the GUI root container class when it implement a listener interface. I successfully reproduced the problem several times, in a fresh installation on both Windows XP and Linux (Fedora 9).

Steps:
1) start eclipse and set the event code generation preference to "implement listener interface in parent class"
2) create a new GWT project with the ImageViewer default module.
3) in the ImageViewer code, delete the default clickMeButton.addClickListener method implementation
4) switch in design mode and crate a new onClick event handler
5) in the code, correct the double onClick method generated (*) and save
6) go back in design mode and you will get the exception "Design error occurred / Reason: Parse error or internal Designer error"
7) close the editor tab
8) reopen ImageViewer.java and go in design mode. The designer doesn't work anymore. From now you will get the "Design error occurred" message followed by a "no GUI roots detected" opening any visual class, or if you make a new one too.
9) close again the editor tab
10) reopen ImageViewer.java, remove all ClickListener stuff and save
11) switch back in design mode: it works now.

PS: I tried with GWTD version 5.1.0.200809130024 too.
Attachments
2.png
onClick event handler generated double
2.png (51.74 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
Giorgio Gelardi
giorgiog

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:22 pm

I was not able to reproduce this. What you describe would not be an installation issue in any case and would not be affected by the type of installation chosen.

There is no difference between the full installer, zip install or update site. All three are built from the same bits at the same time.

Feel free to send us a test project that has this problem, and we will take a look at it. Specifically, we need to see the ImageViewer class that would not parse.

It would also be helpful to see your Eclipse ".log" file and project ",gwt-log" file to see if any exceptions were recorded.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby giorgiog » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:07 am

Eric Clayberg wrote:I was not able to reproduce this.

Well, following those steps I always reproduce the error, on both work and home pc. There is a test project in the attached archive. Log files are included and yes, there are some exceptions about inheritance in.
You should get the "no GUI roots" error trying to open the ImageViewer class in the designer (I do). In that case just remove all the ClickListener references/implementation to get the designer work again.
gwttest.tar.gz
test project
(11.42 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

Eric Clayberg wrote:What you describe would not be an installation issue in any case and would not be affected by the type of installation chosen.

I was just saying that I fixed my GWTD installation by your suggestion, I'm sorry my english is not very good.
Giorgio Gelardi
giorgiog

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:59 am

The problem is with the @Override line before the onClick() method.

Delete that line and the problem goes away. When I tried your steps, that line was not generated, so it worked on the first try.

Eclipse will generate that line when your environment is set to Java6 compliance.

The problem is that GWT 1.5 is only Java5 compliant, so you need to change your project properties to force it to be Java5 compliant.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby giorgiog » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Eric Clayberg wrote:The problem is with the @Override line before the onClick() method...The problem is that GWT 1.5 is only Java5 compliant...

it's right, my fault, I was using all default environment in eclipse. thanks for your time.
Giorgio Gelardi
giorgiog

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:12 am

I'm glad the switch to Java5 compliance worked.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Return to GWT Designer