Creating a Main App w/ Helper Apps

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Creating a Main App w/ Helper Apps

Postby jcmorris-mts » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:56 am

I have in mind a dashboard-type GWT Designer app that is essentially a facade for four helper GWT component applications. Given how GWT Designer seems to enforce it's own notion about package structures in relation to modules, I'm having difficulty reconciling the examples that I see in "GWT In Action" on p. 343 with how Designer wants to add new modules.

[attachment=]Screen cap from GWT In Action showing top level package structure.[/attachment]

The helper applications in the book's Dashboard tutorial don't have entry points as I understand it since they are called by the main Dashboard app that does have an entry point. All good so far.

My questions is:

In GWT Designer, what is the best way or preferred way to create/set up/modularize a "main" application with n other component applications, each sporting rather complex composite widget GUIs?

BTW -- this would be a great tutorial for the Designer team to whip up :-)

If anyone has experience constructing this architecture with GWT and/or Designer please let me know!

Thanks!
Jason
Attachments
GWTInAction.PNG
GWTInAction.PNG (24.72 KiB) Viewed 331 times
jcmorris-mts

Re: Creating a Main App w/ Helper Apps

Postby Konstantin.Scheglov » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:35 am

You can create any number of GWT modules in single GWT project (but keep each module in separate package).
If you don't need EntryPoint, then create module without EntryPoint and public resource, see screen shot.

Then, you can create main GWT module, with EntryPoint, and use classes from "client" parts of other GWT modules.
In theory you should also import these GWT modules into your main *.gwt.xml, but GWT Designer will help you with this, see
http://download.instantiations.com/Desi ... ation.html
Attachments
Screenshot - 11.02.2008 , 15_15_01.png
Screenshot - 11.02.2008 , 15_15_01.png (44.68 KiB) Viewed 317 times
Konstantin.Scheglov

Return to GWT Designer