GWT 1.5

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

GWT 1.5

Postby mupf3l » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:52 am

Hi,

as it seems, gwt 1.5 is getting stable in the trunk. I am starting a project and wanted to ask what would happen if I give gwt-designer a fresh trunk build to play with.

did anyone try this out?

brgds,

Papick G. Taboada
mupf3l

Re: GWT 1.5

Postby mupf3l » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:48 am

Hi,

here is what I found out: it mainly works, but I have lots of errors messages.
As far as I understand how GWT-Designer works, it also checks if the source is ok. Having Java 5.0 syntax leads to lots of syntax errors from the GWT-Designer point of view - we were not meant to use generics or annotations.
It is interesting though, that Eclipse still allows me to start the app without complainig about the errors. I tried turning off the GWT builder, but the errors did not leave.

Maybe a alpha version of the designer could help simply by turning off the checks until it knows better. Would help me to stick to the tool.

brgds,

Papick G. Taboada

ps: I do not use the Visual editor so I did not test it.
mupf3l

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:11 pm

GWT Designer seems to work reasonably well with GWT 1.5, but we don't plan to officially support it until there are at least some RC builds available from the Google download site.

The latest GWT Designer v3.0.1 build does include an option to disable client side checks.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby mupf3l » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:11 pm

Great, I'll check that right away!
mupf3l

Postby Alexander.Mitin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:15 am

mupf3l wrote:As far as I understand how GWT-Designer works, it also checks if the source is ok. Having Java 5.0 syntax leads to lots of syntax errors from the GWT-Designer point of view - we were not meant to use generics or annotations.

Could you provide a test case? On my end I see no problem with Java5 code.
Alexander Mitin
Alexander.Mitin

Postby mupf3l » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:17 am

If I do not turn off client side code checks I get an error at

List<sometype> justDoSomething();

The error is, that it cannot find List<sometype> as a type.

brgds

Papick
mupf3l

Postby mwaschkowski » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:56 am

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm planning on trying out Instantiations, but do need 1.5 support. Starting a new project in the next month or two (around the same time as 1.5 comes out), so I hope that 1.5 support doesn't trail the 1.5 release by very much...

Look forward to using your product.

Regards,

Mark
mwaschkowski

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:33 am

mupf3l wrote:If I do not turn off client side code checks I get an error at
List<sometype> justDoSomething();
The error is, that it cannot find List<sometype> as a type.

I don't think this is a JDK 1.5 issue. GWT Designer does not include any JDK 1.5 syntax checks.

Please send us a complete test case.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby mupf3l » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:22 am

Hi,

yes, it does. I turned off the client code check in the gwt designer options (available since 3.0.1) as you told me and the problems are gone.

brgds

Papick
mupf3l

Postby Konstantin.Scheglov » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:42 am

I can not reproduce "client code check" problem.
As you can see on screen shot, I use generics, checking is turned ON, but there are no problems highlighted.
Can you give test case, not real project, just something surrogate just to show problem?
Attachments
Screenshot - 22.01.2008 , 18_20_24.png
Screenshot - 22.01.2008 , 18_20_24.png (53.95 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
Konstantin.Scheglov

Postby mupf3l » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:48 am

I ran into the same problem again lately. It was an old version of the GWT Designer. Updating solves the problem.

Sorry for the confusion.

brgds,

Papick
mupf3l

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:03 am

One should always try the latest build when encountering a problem in an older version.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby mupf3l » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:17 am

As I said, I did't know it was an old version.

Sorry for the incovinience.

brgds

Papick
mupf3l

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:01 am

The GWT Designer download page will show the date of the latest build.

In general, we produce a new build nearly every day with accumulated bug fixes and feature requests.

it is always a good idea when encountering a problem to try the latest build to see whether the problem has already been fixed (which is often the case).
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby ebartley13 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:42 am

I'm trying to use GWT 1.5 M2 with the latest Designer 4.0.0.200804141358, but I get an error when I open the visual designer tab. If I change the version of GWT I'm using the 1.4 everything works fine. I know other people have reported that the designer works, so I'm just hope I have something configured incorrectly.

Eclipse Log
Code: Select all
!SESSION 2008-04-15 10:15:47.738 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=M20071023-1652
java.version=1.5.0_14
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2008-04-15 10:16:05.753
!MESSAGE Invalid preference page path: Cache

!ENTRY com.swtdesigner 4 4 2008-04-15 10:27:03.590
!MESSAGE Designer [6.6.0.200804140423]: org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: com.swtdesigner.properties.PropertyException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

Product: GWT Designer Evaluation
Version: 4.0.0.200804141358
Expected: Eclipse 3.3
Actual: Eclipse 3.3.100.v20070530
Actual Eclipse Build Name:
Actual Eclipse Build ID: M20071023-1652
IDE Actual Name: Eclipse
IDE Actual Version: 3.3.2.R33x_v20071022
IDE Actual NL: en_US
Activation Key: GWTDesignerEval-HK0SH-HM15R-W7XCH
Physical Address: 00-1C-C4-C8-A0-C3, HardwareAddress[00-1C-BF-9A-09-CD]
Code Gen: Flat Mode, Use Existing, First Assignment, Make Final
Events: Anonymous Class
GWT Home: C:/gwt-windows-0.0.2415
Platform Product: Eclipse
Platform Version: 3.3.2.R33x_v20071022
OS Name: Windows XP
OS Architecture: x86
OS Version: 5.1

!STACK 0
org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: com.swtdesigner.properties.PropertyException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
   at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.JavaInfoParser$ParserVisitor.isComponentCreation(JavaInfoParser.java:3781)
   at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.JavaInfoParser$ParserVisitor.endVisit(JavaInfoParser.java:1887)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.MethodInvocation.accept0(MethodInvocation.java:246)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.accept(ASTNode.java:2476)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.acceptChild(ASTNode.java:2523)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.VariableDeclarationFragment.accept0(VariableDeclarationFragment.java:224)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.acceptChildren(ASTNode.java:2546)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.VariableDeclarationStatement.accept0(VariableDeclarationStatement.java:272)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.Block.accept0(Block.java:135)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.acceptChild(ASTNode.java:2523)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.MethodDeclaration.accept0(MethodDeclaration.java:501)
   at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.JavaInfoParser$ParserVisitor.visit(JavaInfoParser.java:3007)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.TypeDeclaration.accept0(TypeDeclaration.java:466)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.CompilationUnit.accept0(CompilationUnit.java:213)
   at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.JavaInfoParser.parse(JavaInfoParser.java:320)
   at com.swtdesigner.gef.DesignerEditor.parseCompilationUnit(DesignerEditor.java:1149)
   at com.swtdesigner.gef.DesignerEditor$17.execute(DesignerEditor.java:1077)
   at com.swtdesigner.model.swing.properties.custom.DesignTimeHelper.execute(DesignTimeHelper.java:54)
   at com.swtdesigner.gef.DesignerEditor.handleActivate(DesignerEditor.java:1071)
   at com.swtdesigner.gef.DesignerEditor.handleActivate(DesignerEditor.java:1062)
   at com.swtdesigner.editors.MultiPageEditor.showDesignEditor(MultiPageEditor.java:391)
   at com.swtdesigner.editors.MultiPageEditor$2.widgetSelected(MultiPageEditor.java:178)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:227)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:938)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:962)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:947)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Widget.java:706)
   at org.eclipse.swt.custom.CTabFolder.setSelection(CTabFolder.java:3227)
   at org.eclipse.swt.custom.CTabFolder.onMouse(CTabFolder.java:2005)
   at org.eclipse.swt.custom.CTabFolder$1.handleEvent(CTabFolder.java:316)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:938)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3682)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3293)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2389)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2353)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2219)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$4.run(Workbench.java:466)
   at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:289)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:461)
   at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:106)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:169)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:106)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:76)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:363)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:176)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:508)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:447)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1173)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: com.swtdesigner.properties.PropertyException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
   at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.factory.JavaInfoFactory.create(JavaInfoFactory.java:119)
   at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.factory.JavaInfoFactory.create(JavaInfoFactory.java:96)
   at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.factory.JavaInfoFactory.create(JavaInfoFactory.java:89)
   at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.JavaInfoParser$ParserVisitor.isComponentCreation(JavaInfoParser.java:3770)
   ... 62 more
Caused by: com.swtdesigner.properties.PropertyException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.GWTJavaInfoFactory.create(GWTJavaInfoFactory.java:171)
   at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.factory.JavaInfoFactory.create(JavaInfoFactory.java:113)
   ... 65 more
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
   at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.GWTJavaInfoFactory.create(GWTJavaInfoFactory.java:163)
   ... 66 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invokeNativeObject(@com.google.gwt.dom.client.Document::get()): Cannot convert to type java.lang.Object from JavaScript object
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.UIObjectInfo.classByName(UIObjectInfo.java:187)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.UIObjectInfo.<init>(UIObjectInfo.java:67)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.WidgetInfo.<init>(WidgetInfo.java:52)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.panel.AbstractContainerInfo.<init>(AbstractContainerInfo.java:37)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.panel.PanelInfo.<init>(PanelInfo.java:25)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.panel.ComplexPanelInfo.<init>(ComplexPanelInfo.java:26)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.panel.AbsolutePanelInfo.<init>(AbsolutePanelInfo.java:36)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.panel.RootPanelInfo.<init>(RootPanelInfo.java:23)
   ... 71 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invokeNativeObject(@com.google.gwt.dom.client.Document::get()): Cannot convert to type java.lang.Object from JavaScript object
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.UIObjectInfo.getState(UIObjectInfo.java:401)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.UIObjectInfo.classByName(UIObjectInfo.java:185)
   ... 78 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invokeNativeObject(@com.google.gwt.dom.client.Document::get()): Cannot convert to type java.lang.Object from JavaScript object
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.support.GWTState.<init>(GWTState.java:142)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.browser.ie.GWTStateIE6.<init>(GWTStateIE6.java:28)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.browser.ie.BrowserSupportFactory.createState(BrowserSupportFactory.java:12)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.support.GWTState.createState(GWTState.java:1665)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.UIObjectInfo.getState(UIObjectInfo.java:394)
   ... 79 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invokeNativeObject(@com.google.gwt.dom.client.Document::get()): Cannot convert to type java.lang.Object from JavaScript object
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.host.JsValueGlue.get(JsValueGlue.java:181)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.host.ModuleSpace.invokeNativeObject(ModuleSpace.java:99)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.host.JavaScriptHost.invokeNativeObject(JavaScriptHost.java:71)
   at com.google.gwt.dom.client.Document.get(Document.java)
   at com.google.gwt.user.client.DOM.createButton(DOM.java:110)
   at com.google.gwt.user.client.ui.Button.<init>(Button.java:57)
   at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.support.GWTState.initClassesAndMethods(GWTState.java:451)
   at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.support.GWTState.<init>(GWTState.java:136)
   ... 83 more

ebartley13

Next

Return to GWT Designer