Unknown Window Type with Windows, GWTD 2.0 and GWT 1.4.10

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Unknown Window Type with Windows, GWTD 2.0 and GWT 1.4.10

Postby hyperbole » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:47 am

I like to get this thread back on track:

I'm also struggling with trying to resolve the issues with GWT Designer 2.0 and Eclipse 3.3. My platform is:

Windows XP Professional
JDK 1.6.0_01
GWT 1.4.10

I'm consistently getting Unknown Window Type errors, which is a symptom of the "Javascript Undefined" error as seen below. Obviously I'm missing some sort of requirement that Eric alluded to. Did I check my Javascript settings? What settings are we referring too? If it's on my browsers, then yes javascript is enabled. I also have WST plugins installed in my Eclipse environment.

--

!ENTRY com.swtdesigner 4 4 2007-07-01 03:15:06.024
!MESSAGE Designer internal error [6.4.0.20070629110306]: com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.host.HostedModeException: invokeNativeHandle(@com.google.gwt.user.client.impl.DOMImpl::createElement(Ljava.lang.String;)): JavaScript undefined, expected com.google.gwt.user.client.Element
!STACK 0
org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.host.HostedModeException: invokeNativeHandle(@com.google.gwt.user.client.impl.DOMImpl::createElement(Ljava.lang.String;)): JavaScript undefined, expected com.google.gwt.user.client.Element
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.support.GWTState.<init>(GWTState.java:138)
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.browser.ie.GWTStateIE6.<init>(GWTStateIE6.java:28)
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.browser.ie.BrowserSupportFactory.createState(BrowserSupportFactory.java:12)
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.support.GWTState.createState(GWTState.java:1433)
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.UIObjectInfo.getState(UIObjectInfo.java:355)
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.UIObjectInfo.classByName(UIObjectInfo.java:150)
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.UIObjectInfo.<init>(UIObjectInfo.java:62)
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.WidgetInfo.<init>(WidgetInfo.java:49)
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.FocusWidgetInfo.<init>(FocusWidgetInfo.java:17)
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.button.ButtonBaseInfo.<init>(ButtonBaseInfo.java:25)
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.button.ButtonInfo.<init>(ButtonInfo.java:28)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.GWTJavaInfoFactory.create(GWTJavaInfoFactory.java:146)
at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.factory.JavaInfoFactory.create(JavaInfoFactory.java:108)
at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.factory.JavaInfoFactory.create(JavaInfoFactory.java:92)
at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.factory.JavaInfoFactory.create(JavaInfoFactory.java:85)
at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.JavaInfoParser$ParserVisitor.endVisit(JavaInfoParser.java:1429)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ClassInstanceCreation.accept0(ClassInstanceCreation.java:336)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.accept(ASTNode.java:2476)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.acceptChild(ASTNode.java:2523)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.Assignment.accept0(Assignment.java:311)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ExpressionStatement.accept0(ExpressionStatement.java:143)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.acceptChildren(ASTNode.java:2546)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.Block.accept0(Block.java:135)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.MethodDeclaration.accept0(MethodDeclaration.java:501)
at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.JavaInfoParser$ParserVisitor.visit(JavaInfoParser.java:2903)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.TypeDeclaration.accept0(TypeDeclaration.java:466)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.ASTNode.acceptChildren(ASTNode.java:2546)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.dom.CompilationUnit.accept0(CompilationUnit.java:213)
at com.swtdesigner.model.parser.JavaInfoParser.parse(JavaInfoParser.java:317)
at com.swtdesigner.gef.DesignerEditor.parseCompilationUnit(DesignerEditor.java:1132)
at com.swtdesigner.gef.DesignerEditor.refreshDesignView(DesignerEditor.java:1213)
at com.swtdesigner.gef.DesignerEditor$14.widgetSelected(DesignerEditor.java:953)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:227)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:938)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3682)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3293)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2389)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2353)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2219)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$4.run(Workbench.java:466)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:289)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:461)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:106)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:153)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:106)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:76)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:363)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:176)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:504)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:443)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1169)
hyperbole

Postby hyperbole » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:22 pm

And I've gotten the same exception from Eclipse 3.2, GWT 1.3.3, and GWT Designer 1.7. The only thing that has remained constant is the OS and my JDK platform.
hyperbole

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:25 pm

hyperbole wrote:I like to get this thread back on track: I'm also struggling with trying to resolve the issues with GWT Designer 2.0 and Eclipse 3.3. My platform is:
Windows XP Professional
JDK 1.6.0_01
GWT 1.4.10

Since the original thread was about OSX, bringing up issues with Windows was off topic. I have split this off into a new topic specific to Windows.

hyperbole wrote:I'm consistently getting Unknown Window Type errors

If you are using Windows, you should review the suggestions in the Designer FAQ. Those options are known to resolve almost all cases of "Unknown Window Type" problems under Windows.

If those suggestions don't help, you will need to send us a test case and yoru complete Eclipse ".log" file.

hyperbole wrote:And I've gotten the same exception from Eclipse 3.2, GWT 1.3.3, and GWT Designer 1.7. The only thing that has remained constant is the OS and my JDK platform.

If you have been seeing the same issue with GWT 1.3.3 and GWTD 1.7, then it is definitely unrelated to the topic of the original thread which was specific to OSX and GWTD 2.0.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby hyperbole » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:14 pm

Eric Clayberg wrote:If you have been seeing the same issue with GWT 1.3.3 and GWTD 1.7, then it is definitely unrelated to the topic of the original thread which was specific to OSX and GWTD 2.0.

A little presumptous I would say, since we don't have an answer yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the two stack traces are identical except for the GWTState initialization. For the original poster (and he's an OSX user), the initialization behaviour is being delegated (?) to GWTStateSaf; in my case, it's GWTStateIE6.

Am I correct to assume that state initialization is dependent on our browsers' configurations (i.e. IE6)?

I have IE7 on my system only. Is IE6 a requirement?

---

!ENTRY com.swtdesigner 4 4 2007-07-01 03:15:06.024
!MESSAGE Designer internal error [6.4.0.20070629110306]: com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.host.HostedModeException: invokeNativeHandle(@com.google.gwt.user.client.impl.DOMImpl::createElement(Ljava.lang.String;)): JavaScript undefined, expected com.google.gwt.user.client.Element
!STACK 0
org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.host.HostedModeException: invokeNativeHandle(@com.google.gwt.user.client.impl.DOMImpl::createElement(Ljava.lang.String;)): JavaScript undefined, expected com.google.gwt.user.client.Element
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.browser.ie.GWTStateIE6.<init>(GWTStateIE6.java:2Cool
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.browser.ie.BrowserSupportFactory.createState(BrowserSupportFactory.java:12)

!ENTRY com.swtdesigner 4 4 2007-06-30 13:26:04.488
!MESSAGE Designer internal error [6.4.0.20070630012048]: com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.host.HostedModeException: invokeNativeHandle(@com.google.gwt.user.client.impl.DOMImpl::createElement(Ljava.lang.String;)): JavaScript undefined, expected com.google.gwt.user.client.Element
!STACK 0
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.browser.saf.GWTStateSaf.<init>(GWTStateSaf.java:30)
hyperbole

Postby Eric Clayberg » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:19 am

hyperbole wrote:A little presumptuous I would say, since we don't have an answer yet.

Not in the slightest as we are talking about two different operating systems with two very different GWT and browser implementations.

hyperbole wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the two stack traces are identical except for the GWTState initialization. For the original poster (and he's an OSX user), the initialization behavior is being delegated (?) to GWTStateSaf; in my case, it's GWTStateIE6.

You have posted the tops of two nested exceptions. As those exceptions are nested, it is the originating exceptions at the bottom of the stack traces that are actually important (eventually those exceptions bubble up to common code that looks the same). The GWT GWTStateIE6 and GWTStateSaf classes have very different implementations and interface with their respective browsers in very different ways. Most of the causes for such a failure under Windows are known and remedies are described in the FAQ entry I referenced earlier. The corresponding failure modes under OSX (especially the intermittent one described in the OSX thread) are not known as we have not been able to reproduce those yet.

hyperbole wrote:Am I correct to assume that state initialization is dependent on our browsers' configurations (i.e. IE6)? I have IE7 on my system only. Is IE6 a requirement?

The initialization is completely dependent on the OS and its default browser (IE in the case of Windows and Safari in the case of OSX). Under Windows, IE6 or IE7 can be used interchangeably (GWT simply chose to name their IE support class "IE6" rather than simply "IE").

Some questions for you:

1) How do you have GWT Designer installed? Using the installer or ZIP file? If you used the zip file, this FAQ entry may help.

2) Are you able to launch any GWT apps in hosted mode from within Eclipse? For example, if you create create a new project using the GWT Designer project wizard, can you run the resulting ImageViewer class?

3) Have you tried each of the suggestions in the FAQ entry I referenced earlier? Those suggestions are known to solve the problem under Windows in every case that has been reported to us so far.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby hyperbole » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:53 am

Eric Clayberg wrote:Some questions for you:

1) How do you have GWT Designer installed? Using the installer or ZIP file? If you used the zip file, this FAQ entry may help.

I installed GWT Designer using the installer.

Eric Clayberg wrote:2) Are you able to launch any GWT apps in hosted mode from within Eclipse? For example, if you create create a new project using the GWT Designer project wizard, can you run the resulting ImageViewer class?

I'm able to run the Kitchen Sink example from Google in Eclipse, in hosted mode, as well as my own GWT app. I'll run the ImageViewer class later tonight.

Eric Clayberg wrote:3) Have you tried each of the suggestions in the FAQ entry I referenced earlier? Those suggestions are known to solve the problem under Windows in every case that has been reported to us so far.

I've tried these steps without success:

1. I've refreshed and rebuilt my project
2. I've included <classpathentry kind="var" path="GWT_HOME/gwt-user.jar"/>
3. I've deleted <workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\com.swtdesigner.gwt\bytesCache 4. I don't have a proxy server
5. I've rebooted my PC
6. I've reinstalled designer with a fresh copy of Eclipse
7. I did a full reset of IE's settings to the default manufacturer's settings.

I'll review the Designer FAQ again to see if I missed anything. And I'll email the complete log file when I get home tonight.
hyperbole

Postby hyperbole » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:42 am

Update:

I've installed the Eclipse 3.3/GWT Designer 2.0 environment on a separate workstation. Everything works fine; I'm able to use the visual editor.

This workstation has:
JDK 1.6.0
Windows XP Professional
IE6

There's a test case I want to try out first, and it has to do with the JDK/Firefox vs JDK/IE environment...
hyperbole

Postby Eric Clayberg » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:18 am

hyperbole wrote:I've installed the Eclipse 3.3/GWT Designer 2.0 environment on a separate workstation. Everything works fine; I'm able to use the visual editor.

That is good news at least. You might also try the lastest build as we enhanced the exception handling a bit to hopefuly provide a more informative exception in the log.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby hyperbole » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:49 am

Thanks. I'll give it a try later tonight.

So far, I'm unable to reproduce the problem. I even disabled java on IE. Now the only difference between the original and the 2nd workstation is that the original had Firefox as its default browser.
hyperbole

Postby Eric Clayberg » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 pm

hyperbole wrote:So far, I'm unable to reproduce the problem. I even disabled java on IE. Now the only difference between the original and the 2nd workstation is that the original had Firefox as its default browser.

Interesting. The default browser should not make any difference. We ran some tests locally, and that had no impact on our end.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Return to GWT Designer