2.0 release/Eclipse 3.3/OSX/ GWT 1.4.10 = broken

GWT Designer allows you to quickly create the modules, composites, panels, remote services and other elements that comprise Google Web Tookit applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

2.0 release/Eclipse 3.3/OSX/ GWT 1.4.10 = broken

Postby pds1602 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:10 am

Here we go again...

Brand new installation. Followed the instructions to the letter. Installed the Webkit. Get an unknown window type error. Cleared out the eclipse files as per the instructions. No joy. Followed the instructions as per the web site.

Simply doesn't work.

Also got the unknown window type error without the webkit.
pds1602

Re: 2.0 release/Eclipse 3.3/OSX/ GWT 1.4.10 = broken

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:01 am

pds1602 wrote:Brand new installation. Followed the instructions to the letter. Installed the Webkit. Get an unknown window type error. Cleared out the eclipse files as per the instructions. No joy. Followed the instructions as per the web site. Simply doesn't work.

The Eclipse 3.3, OSX, GWT 1.4.10 combination works fine on our end (on multiple machines). Check your log for any JavaScript related problems. If you see any, try checking any JavaScript/Safari related settings.

pds1602 wrote:Also got the unknown window type error without the webkit.

That would be completely expected. The older webkit that comes with OSX is very buggy and won't work.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby pds1602 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:03 am

The log shows the following:

!ENTRY com.swtdesigner 4 4 2007-06-30 13:26:04.488
!MESSAGE Designer internal error [6.4.0.20070630012048]: com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.host.HostedModeException: invokeNativeHandle(@com.google.gwt.user.client.impl.DOMImpl::createElement(Ljava.lang.String;)): JavaScript undefined, expected com.google.gwt.user.client.Element
!STACK 0
org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.host.HostedModeException: invokeNativeHandle(@com.google.gwt.user.client.impl.DOMImpl::createElement(Ljava.lang.String;)): JavaScript undefined, expected com.google.gwt.user.client.Element
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.model.widgets.support.GWTState.<init>(GWTState.java:138)
at com.swtdesigner.gwt.support.browser.saf.GWTStateSaf.<init>(GWTStateSaf.java:30)
pds1602

Postby pds1602 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:15 am

Eric Clayberg wrote:The Eclipse 3.3, OSX, GWT 1.4.10 combination works fine on our end (on multiple machines). Check your log for any JavaScript related problems. If you see any, try checking any JavaScript/Safari related settings.

What should the Javascript/Safari related setting be? Use Javascript is switched on. I'm using 3 beta.

I've also tried the latest release - no joy.
pds1602

Postby SoulDad57 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:20 am

I experienced exactly the same situation. Clean install of everything, new workspace, etc. I created a new default GWT project. No workee.

Strangely enough it works fine on another Mac of mine, my existing workspace worked fine on that Mac. Also, version 1.7.2 worked on both macs.

Don't know if it matters, but one Mac is a G5 tower (it works), the other is an Intel Macbook Pro ( it doesn't work). I'll send an error trace later.

Eric Clayberg wrote:
pds1602 wrote:Brand new installation. Followed the instructions to the letter. Installed the Webkit. Get an unknown window type error. Cleared out the eclipse files as per the instructions. No joy. Followed the instructions as per the web site. Simply doesn't work.

The Eclipse 3.3, OSX, GWT 1.4.10 combination works fine on our end (on multiple machines). Check your log for any JavaScript related problems. If you see any, try checking any JavaScript/Safari related settings.

pds1602 wrote:Also got the unknown window type error without the webkit.

That would be completely expected. The older webkit that comes with OSX is very buggy and won't work.
"Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim."

— George Santayana
SoulDad57

Postby pds1602 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:23 am

If it helps, mine is also a macbook pro
pds1602

Postby Alexander.Mitin » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:05 am

If you close the editor and open it again, does this help?
Alexander Mitin
Alexander.Mitin

Postby onymous » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:10 am

I'm having exactly the same 'Unknown Window Type' error after a fresh install of Eclipse 3.3 (europa), GWT 1.4.10 and GWT 2.0.0 on projects that were working well before.
onymous

Postby pds1602 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:16 am

Alexander.Mitin wrote:If you close the editor and open it again, does this help?

no.
pds1602

Postby pds1602 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:19 am

onymous wrote:I'm having exactly the same 'Unknown Window Type' error after a fresh install of Eclipse 3.3 (europa), GWT 1.4.10 and GWT 2.0.0 on projects that were working well before.

Got to wonder why these guys don't test things properly. Release == tested as far as I'm concerned. And this is not the first time. Seems we are the testers.
pds1602

Postby onymous » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:48 am

I'm not sure what you mean by 'close the editor.' If I switch between 'source' and 'design' it doesn't help. Thanks!
onymous

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:53 am

onymous wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by 'close the editor.'

Close the entire editor and re-open it.

IOW, does this only happen when using the editor for the first time during a session or every time. If the former, there could be some sort of subtle initialization-order issue or timing related issue.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby onymous » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:04 am

It happens every time.
onymous

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:21 am

pds1602 wrote:Got to wonder why these guys don't test things properly. Release == tested as far as I'm concerned. And this is not the first time. Seems we are the testers.

As I stated earlier, the GWT 1.4.10, Eclipse 3.3, OSX combination works fine on all of the Macs that we currently have access to. That does not mean that it will necessarily work in every OSX environment given the number of different factors involved.

We test everything as well as we can given all of the variables we have no control over. You seem to forget that GWT Designer is not a standalone piece of software. It relies on services from Eclipse, from the OS, from GWT, from SWT, from the browser , from the OS webkit, from Java etc. All of those variables can change independently of one another. We have already seen with GWT 1.4.10 that there is no guarantee of compatibility between GWT releases. We have also encountered very serious bugs in various Java releases from Apple and in the webkit supplied with the OS (thus the need for GWT Designer to use a newer one).

GWT Designer under OSX is still in beta as stated in our system requirements and installation page. GWT1.4.10 is also still a beta and has significant breaking changes relative to GWT 1.3.3. We have found OSX to be a painful platform to develop under given the instability of many of the pieces involved. Google barely got GWT to work under OSX (recall that it was the last platform supported), and we can clearly see why. As I mentioned to you earlier, the underlying Eclipse/GWT/Java/Safari combination is quite fragile, and, until that changes, we will probably continue to keep our OSX support in beta.

So what should we do? Should we keep working on OSX or abandon it as a platform? Less than 2% of our GWT Designer users use the product under OSX (based on our activation records), but 50% of our engineering effort is spent on OSX. If my boss (who also uses a Mac BTW) had any idea how much we were spending on supporting the Mac, he would have a fit.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:23 am

onymous wrote:It happens every time.

Can you send us your complete Eclipse ".log" file?
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Next

Return to GWT Designer