Very slow performance when cutting / pasting widgets

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Very slow performance when cutting / pasting widgets

Postby diegoesp » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:34 am

Hi,

I have a moderate number of widgets in a window (like 40 or so). Every time I cut some wigets it takes three or four seconds to take them, but when I paste them on a RowLayout, for example, it takes twenty or thirty seconds.

I have configured eclipse memory to allow 512 mb and I have 512 mb of memory ram. However, the problem do not seem to be memory, it seems to be the CPU (Pentium IV), that gets terribly overloaded.

Thanks !!
diegoesp

Postby diegoesp » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:49 am

Additionally, each operation I do takes a lot of time... modifying a property takes 3 or 4 seconds...

Anytime I do something I can see a task that pops and disappears from the Windows Taskbar... I'm totally ignorant about Eclipse plug-in architecture, but Is the designer spawning a separate process for each operation I do ?
diegoesp

Wow, that is way too slow

Postby Slot Head » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:46 am

I hate it when I put up a question like this and get no responses what so functionally ever.

I would've suggested the memory boost in starting eclipse, but it sounds like you're already doing that. Just in case/to compare note on this, I do this (in a shortcut in windows) to run eclispe:
Code: Select all
c:\eclipse\eclipse.exe -vmargs -Xmx300m

So you're doing that with 512 instead of 300 right?

I think the other way to do it is like this:
Code: Select all
java -Xmx300m -cp startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main

The above sure helped me a bunch. I noticed a way faster start up too.

I haven't tried this, but FWIW, here's a link to an open source eclipse memory monitor plug-in. If it helps you figure what's going on, please let us know.

http://www.cloudgarden.com/memorymanager/index.html

HTH,
Slot Head
Slot Head

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:01 pm

diegoesp wrote:Additionally, each operation I do takes a lot of time... modifying a property takes 3 or 4 seconds...Anytime I do something I can see a task that pops and disappears from the Windows Taskbar... I'm totally ignorant about Eclipse plug-in architecture, but Is the designer spawning a separate process for each operation I do ?

Do any exceptions appear in your Eclipse ".log" file? What version of Eclipse are you using? What version of Designer are you using? Make sure that you are using the latest v4.1.0 release.

What is you exact Eclipse startup command line. I would be concerned if you have Eclipse set up to start with 512MB of RAM and that is all you have physically. You could easily get into a swapping sittuation. Personbally, I only run Eclipse with 256MB max.

Whenever you modify a widget (change a property, move or size it), Designer updates the image in the design view. You may see an item appear in the Windows Taskbar for a moment.
Last edited by Eric Clayberg on Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby diegoesp » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:31 am

Hi,

When I initiated the tests, I did it opening a real system with 100 classes or so. In those conditions, Designer took a long time to do anything: from changing a property (3 or 4 seconds) to cutting and pasting some widgets (10 or 20 minutes). Then, I tested it opening a new project with no files and deploying my two new screens in that project. Now, Designer performs fine.

I don't see any exceptions in the eclipse log file, and I don't think memory is the problem: eclipse performs all right so far and works very fast, the problem started to occur when using the Designer.
diegoesp

Postby diegoesp » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:33 am

By the way, I'm using latest version of Eclipse (3.1) and the latest version of Designer (downloaded just last Wednesday).

No messages from Designer saying that the version of Eclipse is incorrect.
diegoesp

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:43 am

diegoesp wrote:When I initiated the tests, I did it opening a real system with 100 classes or so. In those conditions, Designer took a long time to do anything: from changing a property (3 or 4 seconds) to cutting and pasting some widgets (10 or 20 minutes).

How was this file created? With Designer or something else? Can you send us a test case? If we can reproduce the problem, we can either fix it or suggest a work around. A small system with only 100 classes should not pose any issue at all.

As long as Designer is installed properly and Eclipse configured properly, there is no concievable reason that any operation would take more than a second or two. If cutting and pasting a couple of widgets takes 10-20 minutes, then there is a serious problem either with the Designer installation or your Eclipse configuration. When you installed Designer, did you clean your Eclipse "configuration" directory as described in the installation instructions?

diegoesp wrote:I don't see any exceptions in the eclipse log file, and I don't think memory is the problem

What is you exact Eclipse startup command line? I am still concerned that you have configured Eclipse to use all of your physical memory. If there is nothing in your log pointing to some sort of frequent (and time consuming) exception, then swapping would be a possible explanation for the behavior you are seeing.

diegoesp wrote:By the way, I'm using latest version of Eclipse (3.1) and the latest version of Designer (downloaded just last Wednesday).

In that case, you are definitely not using the most recent version of Designer. v4.1.0 was just released over the weekend. I would suggest the following:

1) Delete all of the Designer v4.0.1 feature and plugin directories

2) Download and install Designer v4.1.0

3) Delete everything in your Eclipse "configuration" directory except the config.ini file

4) Change your Eclipse startup command line to something like this: -vmargs -Xms128M -Xmx256M
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to SWT Designer