My Swing SWT and Eclipse are crashing constantly

SWT Designer allows you to create the views, editors, perspectives, pref pages, composites, etc. that comprise Eclipse SWT & RCP applications and plug-ins.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

My Swing SWT and Eclipse are crashing constantly

Postby SteveC » Mon May 02, 2005 12:10 pm

Help. I am a non programmer trying to develop a GUI that I can hand over to a developer coworker to fill in the blanks. I am running JDK Version 1.4.2_5, Eclipse version 3.0.2, and WindowBuilder Pro Version 4.0.1. All of this running on WindowsXP.

I am at a point in my design where my Eclipse environment is crashing every few minutes. When I try to add a button or sometimes just move something the whole environment goes away and the following message appears on the screen.

JVM Terminated. Exit Code=1
C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe
-cp C;\Documents and Settings\Steve\MyDocuments...
-os win 32
-ws win 32
-arch x86
-showsplash C:\document and settings...
-exitdata C:\document and settings...
-vm c:\windows\system 32\javaw.exe
-vmargs
-cp c:\documentsandsettinegs\steve...

It forces me to hit OK and then I have to restart the program.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.
SteveC

Re: My Swing SWT and Eclipse are crashing constantly

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon May 02, 2005 1:41 pm

SteveC wrote:Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.

I know of nothing that would cause Eclipse to crash like that.

I would suggest trying the latest v4.0.1 WindowBuilder build.

If that does not work, send us a test case and we will try and reproduce the problem.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby Slot Head » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:11 am

This must be very frustrating.
I'm still new, with only 6 months experience using eclipse and SWT-Designer, but I would guess your problem is probably more to blame on your system.

If you're desperate enough, here's a few things to try:

1. In Eclipse, from Window menu select Show View, Error Log. Examine this log- you might be surprised how many scary things are in there! Right click in the log, select Export Log and ask Eric if you can send it to him. The guy is a wizard and nailed a bad problem for me that way.

2. Before starting eclipse, try deleting everything in eclipse's Configuration folder except for the config.ini file.

3. Try installing on another machine.

4. Try installing everything from scratch.

5. Try getting rid of all of the various versions of Java that may have accumulated on your machine. It's easy to have a lot of these. This is a real long shot, but I have read about and experienced various problems related to multiple versions of java. So, after getting rid of them all, ask your developer which one to install and reinstall eclipse and swt-designer from scratch too.

6. Another long shot, but look at environment variables.

HTH
Slot Head

Return to SWT Designer